any advantage I can muster

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I tried to pick up a pair of waterproof boots at the last minute but didn't find any that fit. I am going to wear my regular boots with rain covers if it rains, but I need a tip

I still want to treat my boots with something that will buy me some time if I get caught out. Please recommend something to put on my boots to give them some kind of water repelling property

Thanks

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
If they are leather the old school standby was rubbed in mink oil which is what I prefer...it worked very well on issue combat boots. Then came spray on silicon waterproofing that was useless...:rolleyes1: I'd call a good boot store and see what is suggested now days...or go with mink oil.

Last edited:

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Back when I was in high school and college and went mountain climbing on the weekends, I always used a wax type waterproofing material that went on like shoe polish.
That sure sounds like mink oil...;) The name is somewhat deceptive as it is a shoe paste / polish / wax like product, not an actual oil. And heating your boots first is another old trick for applying it...if you go that route remove any shoe strings...they light off first.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Yup! I've used Sno-Seal for years on my hunting boots... always had dry tootsies!Mike

Chaff

+1 on the Sno-Seal. But instead heating your boots in the oven, try a hair dryer with heat. Remove the laces, clean the boots, apply the Sno-Seal, and ''toast'' them with
the hair dryer. The Sno-Seal ''melts'' right into the leather. No need for high heat, as the beeswax melts at a moderate temp.

Good luck,
Chaff

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Sno-Seal worked great on my cross-country ski-boots.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I use sno seal. Rode in the rain all day and feet were still dry.

Years ago I tried Bear grease. Not the brand name "Bear Grease" but grease rendered from a bear. It worked well to water proof my boots and it repelled big dogs as well. But I don't recommend it.

Top Bottom