Any NT riders have experience with the Suzuki DR650

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I have been thinking about getting a dual sport all winter. Ideally, this will be a second bike so the NT is safe.

I really like the new 2012 vstrom 650, but think it is just too close to the NT. I seemed to have settled on a more dirt-oriented dual sport like a knobby equipped DR650. I know they are single cyl., have a carb and a chain. I am hoping to find a good cheap used one and ride it before I buy.

I am mainly looking to hear from like minded folks who have ridden one.

1TRAK

I ride with a number of WMADV riders that have them. They seem to be great bikes for gravel and two tracks but don't fare well on singletrack.

Had one friend last year ride his from Alabama to Michigan on a camping trip and he had a blast, pretty versatile for a dual sport!

OP
OP
artemedes
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Yeah should have clarified. I am expecting the "off road" portions to be gravel roads and dirt roads. Some of the dirt roads around here get pretty bad and I wouldn't even think about taking my NT down them. Lots of places to explore around here if you take the gravel and dirt roads. I also know the DR650 are plentiful used and often very reasonably priced. I will stick with my mountain bike for single track.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I hear a lot of people who like the DR650. What are the alternatives? Haven't paid any attention to the Enduro type market for a long time. The current ones have seats that look like they hurt, basically dirt bikes with lights.

dillsfarm

The Vstrom is a great machine, Had an 06, Kind of regret selling it, Great Handling, high to climb on, I think the engine is smoother than the TN, and it is a 6 speed, sometimes difficult to figure out what gear you are in, thats how smooth it is, I installed an indicator, Check out the new model, Its an adventure tourer, comes with the bags and other goodies, for what you want, that may be the answer, Think about a KLR, you can great bargains on those, and they are tough and water cooled,

OP
OP
artemedes
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I agree the vstrom is a great motorcycle. I was set on getting one before I discovered the NT. The NT won out because of the better wind management (buffeting), narrower profile with integrated bags and of course the shaft drive. I remember really wanting to try a shaft drive bike.

Even though the Vstrom has 6 gears, the fifth gear in the NT is slightly higher ratio than 6 on the strom and partially explains why the NT gets slightly better gas mileage. I think the 5spd in the NT is very well matched to the motor.

All in all I think the Vstrom is too close to the NT to have as a second bike, I have seen the new 2012 adventure edition with the nice bags. I really like it and if I didn't already have an NT would definitely consider one.

I also think that it is easier to set up a big single like the DR to be more of a 50/50 street/dirt bike. Lighter too. Since I am planning on buying used and cheap and it has less plastics to break it seems like more what I have in mind for a second bike to compliment the asphalt munching NT.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I really like the new 2012 vstrom 650, but think it is just too close to the NT.
As a "dual owner" I always find it funny when someone says the Wee and NT are "too close" to each other... I had my NT over a year before adding my Wee and they are totally different bikes. Unless adding saddle bags to a Wee, which I did, makes a "Adventure" bike in to a "Sport Touring" bike. If they seem "too close" to each other ask yourself this question: Since they are so close to each other, if I can add saddlebags bags to a Wee to make it in to a Sport Tourer, what can I add to a NT to make it an Adventure bike? I would not have bought a Wee if there was a good answer to that question....

As for the DR650 they are a nice bike, but also look at it's little brother the DR-Z400S. The DRZ is a screamer compared to it's big brother...and light enough, at 317 pounds, for trying single track roads. Unfortunately for me the DR's standard 35 inch seat height, and even the 33 inch "low" seat is a deal killer... That and I'm not willing to give up ABS for my street portion of the ride...which is most of it for me...

Last edited:

Madmax

My brother has a DR650. Great little bike for fire roads and such. Not great on the highway.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I agree with Wayne---apples and pears. The only thing the WEE and NT have in common is that they are motorcycles. We have lots of them around here because our roads are really bad. We have lots of dirt and gravel roads. I have friends I can't visit with the NT---I could with a dual sport. The V-Strom is a really nice bike, but for me to ride one, I would have to be able to touch the ground with my feet.

1TRAK

Sounds like the Wee makes a good second bike for you Wayne. I have over 4000 miles of trips, pavement, gravel and two tracks on mine now and believe it's a great do it all twin cylinder.

I ride a DRZ400 and believe it to be a bit more versatile than the DR650 single but it's not as comfortable. The DR sits lower, has a wider and more comfy seat, more torque and tolerates pavement better.

I had an 08 KLR which was a fun bike to ride carefully off road but at 420 pounds was a handful in our Michigan sand.

Another dirt worthy choice for any thing short of serious single track is the Honda XR650L, more dirt oriented than the DR but taller and a bit less comfy.
There's a number of other choices out there, perhaps Sam could help. Take Care!

Top Bottom