App Review

bicyclist

Someone, I think maybe it was Mellow, suggested an app for finding campgrounds. The Allstays Camp and Tent app for iThings costs $9.99, expensive for an app, but worth it. I bought the iPad version and thought others might appreciate a review before coughing up the money. Allstays has several travel apps including one for RV and tent which may appeal to some.

Upon opening for the first time, the app requests permission to use your location. Upon receiving permission, it will open a map showing where you are. You can then scan the area for campgrounds or select Manual Lookup and choose a state or province. That will bring up a box which will let you select types of campgrounds such as National Park, KOA, independent, forest, etc. I neglected to get a screenshot, but you get the idea. In this screenshot, I selected South Dakota and All Types of campgrounds. That brought up a list of locations which shows the number of sites in each area. I selected Spearfish.

The next screenshot shows the list of sites in Spearfish. Tapping the screen will clear the list and show you a map of the area with all of the sites marked or you can select a site from the list.

In this screenshot, I've zoomed in using the map control buttons. Forgot to mention that the green button upper left is a Home button which will take you back to your original location.

Here, I've tapped on the Spearfish City Campground which brings up a menu with information on the site and links to their website, images, reviews, etc. If you're using an iPhone, a tap on the number will call the site. A tap on Nav will open Apple Maps to give directions to the site from your location.

I've used this app to check out several campgrounds, including some in Canada. Even discovered a few near home that I didn't know about.

Top Bottom