Arkansas Dragon Revisited

Bike
2010 Red NT700
So pretty much on the spur of the moment, I got a kitchen pass to go for a ride last weekend. I got home from work, had dinner with Joy and then threw a few things on the bike.
I departed Richardson at 1930 and headed east on I30, taking breaks in Mt Vernon (home of Don Meredith)and Texarkana (the Arkansas side of town).
By now it was dark. The 75 mph speed limit helped to move things along. At about midnight I pulled into my Motel6 in Arkadelphia. Didn't get to sleep til probably 1AM

Sat morning I slept in and walked a block to have a biscuit at McDonald's. KSU at 0930. Up the highway a few minutes to Malvern,AR, then back towards Hot Springs. My plan was to avoid riding into Hot Springs proper but I made a couple of wrong turns and found myself smack in the middle of historic downtown Hot Springs on the main drag where all the old bath houses were and some still are.

If you aren't familiar with Hot Springs, back in the 20s and 30s and possibly into the 40s, Hot Springs was "Vegas" before there was Vegas. It was the playground of some of the richest people in America, with luxury homes all around Lake Catherine and some on the many islands that dot the lake.
There was horse racing, and gaming abundant
Hot Springs was the favorite vacation spot for some of the most infamous mobsters of the time and was considered by all to be "Neutral Ground" where rival mobsters could unwind in safety and even socialize with one another.
The famous gambler Titanic Thompson spent lots of time in Hot Springs plying his trade also

Anyway, as luck would have it, if you are heading north on the main drag, it turns into Scenic Byway 7, my target run for the morning. So I pressed forward into the woods with anticipation.
Mellow had warned that there would be too many cars on 7 to have fun, but I got lucky and had the entire northern run to myself except for about 10 minutes. Once I dispatched the two cagers holding me up, I flew all the way into Ola, AR.
Let me stop here and try to describe the #7 byway. Best I can describe it is to say that it is mountain riding, but the road can be managed at highway speeds without being wreckless. A real pleasure to ride. You know the yellow signs that suggest how fast to go thru a corner?
Well, on AR7 most of these curves can be negotiated at 30 to 40 mph above the 'recommended' speed with no feeling of being dangerous or irresponsible.

Beauty was everywhere this weekend in Arkansas: All the highways were lined with Crimson Clover;All the unmown patures were ablaze with some kind f yellow wildflowers, but the most stunning detail was that all the mountain side understory was awash in Dogwood blooms. Just amazing.

So Ola, as far as I can tell is not much more than a crossroads with a general store and such. A favorite weigh station for bikers and a stop on many poker runs, ( I only know because there was a bin at the cash register with beads in it. The bin was marked 'poker run tokens')
Lots of fried comestibles at the ready and gas pumps. When I pulled in there were three or four separate groups of weekend pirates with their wives and girlfriends. All nice folks out for a run...

I headed on north towards Russellville . If you are a fan of the movie True Grit, you'll like this: as you head north on 7, you have to pass through Dardenelle in Yell County to get to Russellville.
Lunch at Firehouse Subs in Russellville, which sits on I40. I continued north on 7 and rode on into Jasper. Lots of ridgerunning now with vistas opening into valleys where the previous miles were mostly moutainside on both sides with no real vistas.
The 4 mile descent into Jasper is 7% all the way. Jasper is another crossroads in the hills that is a watering hole and food stop for bikers. Also a hub of tourism with lots of rental properties around the area.

Gas and go pitstop and then about 20 more miles north on 7. At some point I realized I should turn back south so I looked at my phone and took a little byway that got me to Bellafonte, where I turned east in search of the junction of 65 and 123.
123 is know as The Dragon in Arkansas. It is all fun but once you pass Mt Judea going South, things get serious. I wont use a lot of words to describe The Dragon
"Brilliant" is the word I would use if I were a Brit. A road that tests you at every turn but is not overly technical. I made most of the first 30 miles of the run in 3 and 4th gears, always between 5 and 6K rpm. Intense. Never used 5th gear in that hour. Pavement like butter; confidence inspiring smoothness; just lovely

Then I realized I was tired. I rode on another hour or two. I dodnt have reservations anywhere so I resolved to look for a Motel6 as I began to make my way back towards home. I came out of the woods in Clarksville but didn't see any Motel6, so I continued west on 40 until I reach the Ft Smith area and found a good Motel6 in Van Buren, a suburb of Ft Smith.
Stayed two nights in a row in refurbished Motel6s. Good experience

Now I had to worry about the weather everyone was in a dither about on the TV. But first a steak, some sleep and see what the morning brought.
Sunday awoke to no rain, but ominous skies in every direction.
I took off again about 9:40 and decided that since the weather was going to be a factor, I would forego the scenic route home (including the Talimena Drive) and take the slab to save time.
Not 5 minutes after heading west on 40, I rode about ten minutes thru a shower. Only my knees got wet. I pulled over and donned my rain pants, closed the vents on my jacket and rode on.
Once I saw the two teams of tornado hunters going east as I ode west, I knew my only worry would be getting wet. I saw one of those SUVS they turn into a tank for chasing tornadoes.
I never saw another drop of rain that day
Got home about 1500 and had a hot meal waiting for me.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Sounds like a great ride, Clay. I haven't ridden in Arkansas since 2007 and that day we were dodging tornadoes all across the state so didn't get off the interstate. Only time before that was in 2000 when I rode quite a bit of NW Arkansas around Mountain Home and Harrison. I used to ride a bicycle up around Blue Eye and Green Forest a lot. I need to get back on the NT!

bicyclist

Nice report! I plan to ride that area in the not-too-distant future.

I've stayed at that Motel6 in Van Buren. I'll bet you got your steak at Big Jakes, across the street.

skiper

Sounds like you had a Great Time - even if there were no cheeseburgers - 3-rd and 4-th 5-6 thousand revs sounds like some real nice flow .. that's good stuff ..

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Clay,
Glad you missed the storms. Had pretty bad damage Sunday afternoon east of your route. Lot of damage just west of Little Rock in Mayflower. Villonia, north of Conway was also hit hard. They were hit 3 years ago to the week in nearly the same place. They had rebuilt a school that was set to open in the fall but it was hit again. If I lived in Villonia I might have to move.
I went through Mayflower Saturday, glad it wasn't a day later.

Brad

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Re: Arkansas Dragon Revisited
Nice report! I plan to ride that area in the not-too-distant future.

I've stayed at that Motel6 in Van Buren. I'll bet you got your steak at Big Jakes, across the street.
You are correct, sir!

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Been out there before, will be crossing Arkansas again shortly. Great write up. Ark 7 is a wonderful road. Going to have a chance to ride it again in Oct when I go to TEXSTOC.

When: Oct 10-12, 2014
Where: Eureka Springs, AR

Sure did enjoy riding along with you on your write up. Thanks

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Been out there before, will be crossing Arkansas again shortly. Great write up. Ark 7 is a wonderful road. Going to have a chance to ride it again in Oct when I go to TEXSTOC.

When: Oct 10-12, 2014
Where: Eureka Springs, AR

Sure did enjoy riding along with you on your write up. Thanks
Chuck
If there's any way, you have to incorporate 123 into your trip. Its outstanding. If nothing else, the sector between Sand Gap and Mt Judea
You can cu eastt from 7 at Jasper and go to Mt Judea, then south on the best part of 123, which will rejoin 7 about 2 miles north of the Sand Gap General Store.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Thanx for the report, Clay. I'll have to add this route to my bucket list!
Doug
I dont think there is a boring rural route in all of Arkansas
If you just get there, its all fun
Anywhere in the Ozark or Ouchita Mts is good

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Red Nigel is right on the money.

I spent last week with some New Orleans based riding buddies in western Arkansas. We stayed in Russellville and took day trips on some of the best maintained roads through spectacular scenery which combined with technically challenging topography. I have ridden the Dragon and can confirm Arkansas 123 is much more fun. Imagine the Dragon's twists and turns without the heavy traffic. Then add a serious vertical component and that's 123. Even on a mid-sized bike like our NT 700s, the ride was exhilarating, exhausting and highly recommended.

We stayed at the La Quinta in Russellville which in addition to large clean rooms, features free beer, wine and hot hors d'oeuvres from 5-7 every evening. A Ruby Tuesday restaurant is just across the parking lot. All in all, great riding in a picture postcard setting. You'll not be disappointed.

Kind regards

Hugh Straub
New Orleans

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Maybe we ought to start a "Bucket List Rides" thread, and start with this and include Yoda's ""Devil's Highway" 191 from Alpine to Clifton (formerly Hwy 666) in east central Arizona".

I'd include the Three Twisted Sisters here in Texas, but that's a very well known ride.

bicyclist

Maybe we ought to start a "Bucket List Rides" thread, and start with this and include Yoda's ""Devil's Highway" 191 from Alpine to Clifton (formerly Hwy 666) in east central Arizona".

I'd include the Three Twisted Sisters here in Texas, but that's a very well known ride.
Yep, I've ridden 191 from Clifton to Alpine, luckily a few days before the fire that burned that area. It's a wonderful road. Not unlike it is 129 in western Washington, also known as the Rattlesnake Grade. In the same area is NF 39, which runs from the Snake River over the Wallowa Mountains to Joseph, OR.

Top Bottom