Audiovox CCS-100 Electronic Cruise

johnha

After a bunch of fits and false starts, it has begun. I will do as complete a write up as possible when I get it complete and working, but I'll post updates here as it goes along. What I put together tonight was likely my biggest hurdle, as I've done this mod to my two previous bikes and figuring out the throttle connection takes half the time.

https://picasaweb.google.com/johnha1980/NT700ElectronicCruiseProject

Parts so far:
Audiovox CCS-100 with control pad, vacuum reservoir, and brake circuit relay from www.murphskits.com ~$180
Package of 1.5" and 1.25" OD washers ~ $1.50

OP
OP

johnha

heh. If you knew me you wouldn't say something like that. Now I'm befuddled by step #2, mounting the new pulley on the existing pulley. Who knew noone makes a 7mm x 1.00 coupler nut? My first attempt at drilling out a 1/4" coupler and tapping ended with a broken tap....

Bike
Silver NT700V
OK, You are making pulleys and mounting them. I am relieved when I get some of the plastic off and back on without breaking anything.

OP
OP

johnha

I'll be relieved if I REMEMBER where to put the plastic, LOL. Too darn many things to do......

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'm pleased to learn that you're trying an installation. I had the Audiovox on both of my Concours and it was the single best farkle ever. I just sold new-in-the-box for $50 because I didn't think it would work on the NT. I'm waiting with bated breath for your success and for detailed instructions. I'm also glad that good ol' Gary Murphy of Murphskits persevered in getting this thing available again. He's been a friend since 2001. If we could just get him interested in farkles for the NT....

OP
OP

johnha

Sorry guys, work, two teenagers and everything in between has been preventing me from garaging. Then when I *did* get in the garage the other night to tap out a 1/4" coupler nut to 7MM x 1.00 I quickly proceeded to snap my tap.

Now the lawn needs mowing tomorrow and I still don't have nearly enough wood split for the winter..... <sigh> But I either have to get it done in the next week or button everything back up before a ride up to Maine on Labor Day. Wonder if I can get the wife to mow the lawn?

Last edited by a moderator:

elizilla

Can't you get a kid to mow the lawn? I thought that's what they are for?

OP
OP

johnha

The continuing adventures of the world's slowest farkler:

Katherine, I shoulda said two teenage *girls*. The amount of instruction/work required in getting them to mow the lawn is better spent mowing the lawn. Saturday was spent mowing then splitting/stacking wood for the winter (I'm way late and way short) and cleaning up the driveway. Sunday's intentions were good, but when the wife brought me home 3 pounds of pork I spent most of the day making venison scrapple. Archery season starts here in about 6 short weeks.

so..... after breaking a 7mm x 1.00 tap in my first attempt at creating a 7x1.00 coupling nut, the ham-fisted mechanic bought another coupling nut, drilled it out with a 15/64" bit, then successfully made his CC coupling nut tonight without breaking his tap. Good grief, at this pace I'll be doing this next summer.

elizilla

My father had two teenage girls, back in the 80s. He didn't cut the grass himself for at least ten years there.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
He didn't cut the grass himself for at least ten years there.
LOL, that brings back memories... My daughter, and son, always used to ask when I was going to get a riding lawn mower...my response was always when you are both gone. The first time they came home to visit, after both had moved out, I had my riding lawn mower...my son's comment was he wasn't kidding! :D Child labor, or servitude as my daughter called it, was alive and well in my home....:eek1:

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
If you want your teenage daughter to do something around the house, Tell her no she can't do it because she is a girl. The task will get done by her. My daughter wanted to dig the post holes for a dog run we were installing, back when she was 15. I said "no, because it is too hard in the frozen ground of mid Feb. Besides you are a girl and don't have the strength to do it". She went out and dug all 6 holes with the hand post hole digger, two feet down for each. My son on the other hand was nowhere to be found when it is time to do yard work. He was 17 at the time.

OP
OP

johnha

This is why I just love Honda Shops. They have folks runing around with certified patches sewn onto their sleeves and have huge tool boxes to pick from all the while I am off getting something else done........................Bob
You find an Authorized Honda Shop willing to install an automotive cruise control unit in a motorcycle I'll eat my hat.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
John, that's OK. My Throttlemeister works OK. All I want is for you to do it exactly right and document it or let me ride to Pennsylvania and park next to you bike and have you coach me through installing mine. :)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
The spoiled biker site shows that aussie unit made especially for the nt700 along with installationl instructions........??????/ Bob
The only trouble with that little jewel is that it costs right at $1000 US.

The audiovox is $170.

OP
OP

johnha

Phil,

If I ever get the danged thing finished I'd be happy to help you out.

I think the Aussie unit is around $1200 based on exchange rates right now, and user 'devil' seems quite pleased with it. But I still highly doubt we'd get a Honda shop to install anything that is not a genuine Honda accessory here in the 'states.

OP
OP

johnha

Well after getting other things in the way for the past two weekends until this morning, I started back into the project. About noon, I decided I had enough to do to get ready for a trip to Maine on Thursday, took the parts off that I had alreay installed and put it all back in the box. It will keep me busy this winter.

Top Bottom