Back in the saddle again

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I took a 75 mile ride today and I feel like a new person. Stopped at the H-D-Honda Dealer where I got the bike 11 years ago and had it inspected. It was just a super beautiful day. The bike has 28K miles on it and has been flawless. I did the normal service on it. I am on my third set of tyres second clutch cable, and second battery. That's pretty good service. I really don't count the OEM tyres--they lasted 4K miles. The Michelin Pro tyres lasted 18K miles. The Michelin pro tyers I now have on have 6K miles on them and show little wear.

On Monday I have to go in the hospital for surgery. They will excise a fairly good sized Melanoma on my left shoulder. We are looking at a seven inch elliptical incision. Hopefully the thing did not get into the Lymph Nodes (They will do a Sentry Biopsy). I probably won't be able to ride for about three weeks--but then I'll be able to ride a lot. Am going out with a nurse I met at Cardiac Rehab. who likes motorcycles, boats, and fast cars. Got all three covered.

Hey, Alex, apart from the melanoma, it sounds like your life is really taking a turn for the better! Congratulations!! Does your nurse friend ride motorcycles or just like them?

Jog my memory -- have you gotten a boat yet?

Glad you had a good pre-surgery ride. Hope the operation goes smooth and all is well after.

Brad

I have snow covering the bike out front in the driveway. It was 80 a couple of days ago. You have to Love New England to live here.

Had a small one taken from my back last November. Sounds like yours is way bigger.
Safe procedure and swift recovery to you.

Hey, Alex, apart from the melanoma, it sounds like your life is really taking a turn for the better! Congratulations!! Does your nurse friend ride motorcycles or just like them?

Jog my memory -- have you gotten a boat yet?

Phil, Still have the 22' Starcraft Islander. I'll try to sell it and look for a Cape Dory 25 (Had one for ten years and really know it) My nurse friend is more into the Shelby. She used to own a Mach 1.

I think that I am getting better. Seems like when I hit 79, it was like hitting a wall. 2020 was bad news--triple bypass surgery and two back operations, along with all this China Virus stuff, was instrumental in not being able to use my boat or motorcycle. Driving the Shelby was only episodic because the track suspension--which made the car so much fun to drive, irritated my freshly operated on back. I took some pre-op rides in the Shelby as well. Will see how long it takes the shoulder to heal so that I can enjoy the MC, bicycles, boat, and car. I always thought that automatic transmissions were boring. Now I am glad I have one in my Ranger. I was going to special order it with a stick. Doc says that he thinks I'll be able to drive in a week or so. (Often wondered how long a "so" is)

Phil, Still have the 22' Starcraft Islander. I'll try to sell it and look for a Cape Dory 25 (Had one for ten years and really know it) My nurse friend is more into the Shelby. She used to own a Mach 1.

Alex, Cape Dory 25 or 25D? Shucks, if you get a sailboat again, I might have to ride to Maine for a sail!

Alex, Cape Dory 25 or 25D? Shucks, if you get a sailboat again, I might have to ride to Maine for a sail!
Phil, The 25 is more practical than the 25D. Even though the 25D has standing headroom (virtually no bilge), it has a Faryman Diesel which is virtually inaccessible and crammed in a small space that will only accommodate very small diesels--which are few and far between. The 25, on the other hand, takes an outboard with 8 to 9.5 HP in a lazarette. I already have a virtually new 8 HP Yamaha outboard with remote that will fit a 25 perfectly.

I've never seen a Cape Dory, but when I lived in Conroe, TX, there were a couple of South Coast 21s and a South Coast 23, all designed by Carl Alberg, that were pretty similar to the Cape Dory boats. I'm like you -- I wouldn't want an inboard on a boat that size. Standing headroom's not that big a deal, especially if you can stand in the hatch when you're cooking. Sounds like it will be a great boat for your part of the world. I don't think you guys have to worry much about having shallow draft.

Back
Top Bottom