Back on the road again...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
My dead battery came back! It took about 36 hours on the Battery Tender Jr, but yesterday morning, it had a charge. That let me ride home from Rocky Ford today.

When I'd driven down on Saturday evening, I'd been on ice for about 60 miles around Limon, then on dry roads south of Punkin Center, and then in snow the rest of the way to US-50. The road was a mess, with snow on top of ice. The 180 mile drive isn't too bad when I'm doing my usual 72mph, but at 40-45 it turns into a long trip.

I waited till I finished some things in Rocky Ford and got on the road a bit after three. In Rocky Ford, it was 54 and the wind was blowing at about 10-15mph. But north of Ordway, the wind picked up (surprise!!). It got stronger until by Limon it was blowing at 40-45 out of the south. That gave me the interesting experience of seeing my instant inaccurate mileage indicator showing 70-75mpg at 72 mph.

Since my batter had died, the AVG MPG was about the highest I've seen it for awhile at 59mpg.

When I got home, I learned I have a meeting in Brighton (about 65 miles away at 9AM on Thursday morning. That makes me wish I'd driven the car home. It's supposed to be cold and wet Thursday and I've turned into a wimp.

It sounds to me like you had best talk very nice to Joanne and see if she won't take pity on you, otherwise I would see my local car rental place!

Eldon

[...It's supposed to be cold and wet Thursday and I've turned into a wimp...]

A rider with 83,000+ miles on his NT is hardly a wimp!

I found someone else going to the meeting I could ride with. But it was only 38F and dry on the way in and 49F on the way home at 4:30. I'd have been OK on the bike, but it was good to be able to talk to my friend. We hadn't seen each other since her husband died while I was on the Epic Ride.

At my age, you'd think I'd know not to gloat. Today was payback for the strong tailwind on my way home to Fort Morgan on Tuesday.

I had a strong headwind as I came back down to Rocky Ford today. Not quite as strong; probably only about 20-25. And the temperatures were in the upper 60s, so I was comfortable all the way.

Sorry for you guys near the Great Lakes and back East. I think spring is nearly sprung here. Of course, that usually means one more pretty good spring snow, but it'll be gone the next day in all likelihood.

Life is getting better!

Especially based out of Colorado where you have real winters and mountains to cope with.

Amen. I don't know how you do it. Admittedly I do not have heated ANYTHING but still, 35 is my max low temp for starting out. I actually like heat.

Today was a case in point. Started this morning a 50 ish, rode 290 miles for lunch. Rode home in upper 70's. Perfect day. The Bluebonnets are out in force down here in SE TX.

Keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

Especially based out of Colorado where you have real winters and mountains to cope with.

John, it's hardly ever that bad up here. Especially on the Eastern Plains where I live. This has been one of the worst winters we've had for riding since I started back in 97. I've had several winters where I've only had to be off the bike a week or two and usually not more than 2 or 3 days in a row. This winter, I think I had two spells of a month where I couldn't ride ... at least safely.

Where'd you go eat, Chuck?

Restaurant called Ranchman's in Ponder, TX. Ponder is a few miles from Denton, northwest of Fort Worth. It's actually about 7 miles from Texas Motor Speedway. Made a leisurely trip home, supper on the way and got back home around 8.

I rode by Texas Motor Speedway on my way to Dallas last April when I was going to meet my niece and her fianc?e before doing their wedding in Fort Worth. I'd cut across from Rhome.

Restaurant called Ranchman's in Ponder, TX. Ponder is a few miles from Denton, northwest of Fort Worth. It's actually about 7 miles from Texas Motor Speedway. Made a leisurely trip home, supper on the way and got back home around 8.

Yeah - I'm gonna make one of those Two-Wheeled Texans Pie Runs sometime!

Back
Top Bottom