Back to riding, with everything working...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Today Ken Malone (RedBird) and I took a ride into the mountains! It was the first time in 2021 that I've been anywhere except east onto the Colorado Plains (which are a lot like the Kansas Plains. We had our Cardo Pack Talks installed but we didn't think to bring the "cheat sheet" and we never got "meshed" with each other. So, we never talked. We met in Loveland at the junction of US-34 and US-287. I ate lunch and then we took US-34 west about 20 miles to Estes Park. From there we took CO-7 south between the Twin Sisters on the east and Long's Peak on the west, past St. Catherine's Chapel on the Rock.

The chapel is close to hiway 7, just east of Camp Malo. Back in '93, when Pope John Paul II held a World Youth Day in Denver, he came to Camp Malo for two days before the event. The Camp had a picture that had been taken of John Paul before he was elected Pope. While he was there a little boy saw him and took a look at the picture. Then he went to Pope and said, "Mister, you sure do look like that guy in the picture there." The Pope went over and bent down and looked at the picture for a minute. And then he turned back to the little boy and said, "I sure do. I think I am that man!"

1622863754749.png

After we rode by the chapel and Allen's Park, we came to the turn where the Peak to Peak Highway (CO-71) heads south to Netherland. I had told Ken that I was going to stay on 7 and ride down South St. Vrain Canyon to Lyons partly because I didn't want to ride through Boulder's rush hour traffic. I was 1/4 mile or so ahead of Ken when I turned east on 7. When he got there, he pulled into the turn lane and we couldn't talk with our Cardo PackTalks! I went on down through Lyons, crossed I-25 and turned north on US-85 at Platteville. Turned out that Ken had turned around and followed me to Lyons, but I was already through. He waited for me somewhere else before heading to his place in Berthoud. It had been three months since I had lasted ridden and I'm leaving here to ride to Provo, so I hope I can get some more riding in before then.

If you want to see the Spotwalla track of the ride, go here: https://new.spotwalla.com/trip/9fe2-a47b6e6-7f4e/view?homeActive=1&showAll=1&allHistory=0&numDays=7

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Once you get the Pack Talks connected you will love 'em. I have a Nolan Ncom on my helmet and Mike Jr. has a Sena on his and after reading both comm systems instruction sheets, saying dutiful prayers to frog entrails and holding our tongues "just right" we were able to get them to connect. Amazingly, even after being apart for months, as soon as we get in range, they automatically connect. Ain't technology great?

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Nice to hear that you're back on the road again.

Yesterday I did some fork maintenance (disassemble, clean, new oil) and my NT now rides much better in front. The rear Works Performance shock needs to be rebuild but that can wait until the fall. I rode 30-miles early this morning to warm the engine for an oil/filter change and it's now sitting in my garage with a drain pan under the engine. My NT is mostly ready for MSTA STAR! :)

Bike
2010 silver NT700
Nice to hear that you're back on the road again.

Yesterday I did some fork maintenance (disassemble, clean, new oil) and my NT now rides much better in front. The rear Works Performance shock needs to be rebuild but that can wait until the fall. I rode 30-miles early this morning to warm the engine for an oil/filter change and it's now sitting in my garage with a drain pan under the engine. My NT is mostly ready for MSTA STAR! :)
Just curious....what weight of oil did you put in your forks? I have never been happy with the fork on my NT and am looking for ways to improve it. I think that bike would have benefited from a fork stabilizer, like the one on the NC.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
5 weight, designed for cartridge forks and I set the oil level at 4.9" from the top. I have fork inserts and the brand eludes me (not Race Tech) but their main benefit for me is their anti-dive function. They're actually made for a 41 mm Showa fork used on WeeStroms, not Honda NT.

Bike
2010 silver NT700
5 weight, designed for cartridge forks and I set the oil level at 4.9" from the top. I have fork inserts and the brand eludes me (not Race Tech) but their main benefit for me is their anti-dive function. They're actually made for a 41 mm Showa fork used on WeeStroms, not Honda NT.
Thanks. right now I have 5wt in the forks and the oil level is 5.25". I find the bike gets pretty unsettled on rough pavement when leaned over. I may extract some oil and lower the level to maybe 4.5", to reduce the air spring. I have read that too high an oil level can cause chattering on rough pavement. Thanks for the tip on the emulators.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Ain't technology great?
Well, it will when we figure it out. I spent 3 hours yesterday morning talking to three different IT people who work for Banner Health at their HQ in Phoenix. They were trying to get my company computer, tablet and phone working and connected. No luck yet. They pawned me off on someone who doesn't work on weekends.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Well, it will when we figure it out. I spent 3 hours yesterday morning talking to three different IT people who work for Banner Health at their HQ in Phoenix. They were trying to get my company computer, tablet and phone working and connected. No luck yet. They pawned me off on someone who doesn't work on weekends.
But, they speak English, right? With my hearing loss and tinnitus if the speaker has any accent at all, I'm lost.

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
HondaFan - the fork inserts I have are made by Ricor and they needed the I.D. of my fork tubes so they could send me the correct insert. Apparently many Showa forks have an 41 mm O.D but with different wall thickness depending on the model and brand. Some (most?) modern Triumphs are even equipped with Showa forks! Anyhow the I.D. was 36.2 mm on the NT forks.

As for the NT needing a fork brace such as used on the NC, those forks are two different animals although both use 41 mm Showa tubes. The lower section (slider) on the NC fork only has a pinch bolt on the left side and the axle actually threads into the right fork leg. The NT has 2 pinch bolts on each side plus the axle is secured with a large flanged nut on the right side so is much more resistant to twisting.

Lots of things on the NC, not just the forks, were done to keep the cost below a certain level!

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
"...With my hearing loss and tinnitus if the speaker has any accent at all, I'm lost...MikeSim"

I had the same experience when reserving a room at a hotel recently. The woman at the other end had an accent and I had my phone on external speaker to make it as clear as possible. Oh well.... :-(

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
"...With my hearing loss and tinnitus if the speaker has any accent at all, I'm lost...MikeSim"

I had the same experience when reserving a room at a hotel recently. The woman at the other end had an accent and I had my phone on external speaker to make it as clear as possible. Oh well.... :-(
Getting a bit off the topic Phil started which was ?????? IDK. But, yes, understanding speech is the number one issue with hearing loss. Accents make it worse as do masks, plastic shields, and intercom speakers. I have given up trying to use the drive-up windows at my bank, pharmacy, and fast food restaurants. Hearing loss is an invisible disability and very poorly understood by most people.

We see plenty of accommodations for physical disabilities like automatic doors, elevators, ramps, brail on restroom doors, and curb cuts, but there are still plenty of places without them. However has anyone ever seen an accommodation for hearing loss like an assistive listening device? Even the best hearing aids do not restore normal speech understanding. There is some great technology to help people with hearing loss but most systems are somewhat undersigned, underutilized, and not generally accepted by the American public. Captioning of movies is one of the big ones. The movie industry refuses to put captions on their movies because some people complain: however some people need at as well. The American Disabilities Act (ADA) requires such accommodations but compliance and enforcement is lacking.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Yup, drive-ups can be a real PITA. Our local Walgreens has such a tinny drive-up speaker that it is impossible for me to use. The other issue is volume versus clarity. I have very little trouble hearing the intensity of the sound, but the clarity is the issue. I have tried hearing aids but all the do is amplify the garble.

Mike

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
My hearing aids help a lot. Two of the best things about them area link with my phone and a TV setting that has link to a little box plugged into my TV set. That means that I can watch things after Joanne goes to bed without blasting her out of the house. But, they aren't perfect. We went out to Ft Morgan for an old church member's 100th birthday and there were about 40-50 people in a small room. I forgot my phone and couldn't adjust them for a noisy environment and could barely understand a word people said. Even worse was the fact that the 100-yr old lady's four daughters had all been so excited that they forgot to make sure she had her hearing aids. She didn't and she couldn't hear, much less understand much of anything anyone said. :-(

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
From personal experience, I know that most hearing aids can overwhelm the wearer in a noisy environment. The worst case for me was a noisy restaurant with plate glass on two sides so there was little to soften the noise. Next, we need to discuss the merits and downsides of Geritol! :)

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
I got my first pair of VA issued behind the ear aids in February, 2020. Just before the whole world shut down.

What an amazing improvement in clarity and comprehension. Plus, I am able to control them with my smartphone to suit the environment.

Because of several Covid caused cancellations, I was unable to have a follow up visit until two weeks ago, at which time the audiologist made some additional ‘tweaks’. I am very pleased.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I had gotten my first pair of hearing aids in 2012. They lacked the connection to my iPhone that my current ones have, but worked great until two Christmases ago. I had had a short night of sleep and decided to take an afternoon nap. I always leave my hearing aids on a side table next to my recliner. I slept a couple of hours and came out and could only find one hearing aids. We almost completely tore my recliner apart. We moved furniture, we went through the drawer in that table, we sorted through the trash can under the table, emptied a box of clean kleenex -- Joanne even went through our kitchen trash and sorted through coffee grounds all to no avail.

When my audiologist got back from her Christmas trip, I called and she suggested that I wait at least a week before we did anything. She said it is amazing how often they turn up several days after they were lost.

Finally after 10 days I went for an appointment. About 9 months before I had tried a newer model, but their wasn't much improvement that I could tell so I just kept the ones from '12. This trip she told me that had learned that she could get one replacement of my '12 models, but also said that in the previous six months there had been what she thought were some pretty significant improvements. I tried the newest model and there were some big changes. I got them and they work really well -- as long as I've got my iPhone to control them. About a week after Christmas '19, I had dropped something (probably a hearing aid battery down into my recliner) and was digging for it and found the missing hearing aid. The next trip to my audiologist, she checked it also checked single hearing aids that people had donated. She found my first one. So now I've got two pair, a '12 model and an '18 model.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
good that everything is working!!! where is your first trip? Spearfish? and then after?????

Top Bottom