Bar end weights

Randall-in-Mpls

New Deauville owner!
Bike
2010 NT700V, 1978 CX500
Is there a trick to removing the bar end anchors? My left grip and bar weight are twisting freely. The grip will be easy to rectify, but I want to remove the anchor to shim it, as well. It's moved about a quarter inch, but I'm not making any more progress.
I assume it's an expansion anchor (but maybe that's incorrect), so I've only partially inserted the bolt to pull on.
It's got the the little spring clips like an internal bar weight, but I've been able to pry them out only 1/32".
Thanks for any insight.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Take a look at Partzilla or other parts diagram to see the internals. You do have to release clip through the little hole in the bar. It still can wedge coming out. Don't remember any magic tricks, I usually do things the hard way most of the time.

Arknt

OP
OP
Randall-in-Mpls

Randall-in-Mpls

New Deauville owner!
Bike
2010 NT700V, 1978 CX500
Thanks. I was missing the clip release in the holes. The holes are full of black rubber, maybe from the grip, maybe from the anchor.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I've found the best way is to use a small punch and flatten those clip tabs, then use a long 6 mm bolt with spacers to pull the weight free. Sometimes using the punch will cause the tab to break but they are inexpensive and one can always use 3M Weatherstrip Cement (AKA "gorilla snot") to secure the weight in place.

Top Bottom