Battery Charger

Bike
2011 NT700v
I need a new battery charger. I dropped my old one damn it.

It's been a long time since I've bought one. I've looked around and can't decide. I like portability and weather resistance. I charge car batteries, boat batteries (both regular and deep cycle) and motorcycle batteries. I also use it as a maintainer. I'd like one with a tester in it.

Any suggestions? There's a lot of new battery technology out there and I want an automatic that I don't have to worry about.

Appreciate your advice.

Thanks

fltsfshr

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
After a lot of research I just bought a new Deltran "Battery Tender" Power Tender International about a month ago. It is a huge improvement over the 30 year old unit I was using... With a maximum rating of 5Amps it can handle both the bikes and a car as needed. The new three wire interface is supported by Harley, I have the new "lead" on my Tri-Glide, so I could fast charge the bike at 5Amps if I ever needed to do so... Don't let the "retail" price scare you off, I bought mine on eBay, from a "real" dealer for $98.00 including shipping, See Here. I also bought a some Deltran twenty five foot 12VDC extension leads, See Here, so I can run the power anywhere in the garage to any vehicle. I also picked up the accessory Female Cigarette Lighter adapter to carry on the Harley so I have two 12VDC power points and one can be extended over 30 feet... Hopefully all this new stuff will last me thirty more years...:D

For those who camp those 25 foot leads could be used to run power from your bike in to your tent for a 12V LED lantern or other device. Just don't kill your battery...:D

EDIT: I just moved this thread to the Technical Forums / Battery Sub forum to be with the other charger threads.

Last edited:
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I just go out and get the cheapest 3 stage charger. Last one I got was at Costco for about $40. Has lasted for 13 years so far :) Overkill for a bike and not weather resistant but I have used it in the rain by throwing a piece of plastic over it.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've got the Batter Tender Jr. It's worked to keep the bike charged and brought the car back once when I'd left something turned on that drained its battery while it sat for a few weeks.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
The Deltran Battery Tender 800 is waterproof. I use it to keep my boat and standby generator batteries charged. Used them for years.

Top Bottom