Battery polarity

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I'm looking at perhaps replacing my battery. Printed in big block letters on the battery is YTZ14S. As I started searching the internet I found something strange - the polarity on every replacement battery (including this stock model) is not right. That is, the positive and negative terminal positions are reversed from what the manual and my bike indicate what I need.

So be careful when ordering a replacement battery to be sure the terminals are in the proper locations so you can actually install the darn thing. Looking at the battery from the side, where the terminals are, you need the positive terminal on the right and the negative (ground) on the left.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Here is pdf about Yuasa batteries. From what I was able to find, there should be an "L" in the YTZ14(L)-S to make it a + terminal on the right. My stock battery is as you described, and the Honda part is YTZ14-S. So I'm confused as to what the correct replacement battery would be.

OP
OP
Rich
Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Here is pdf about Yuasa batteries. From what I was able to find, there should be an "L" in the YTZ14(L)-S to make it a + terminal on the right. My stock battery is as you described, and the Honda part is YTZ14-S. So I'm confused as to what the correct replacement battery would be.
Yeah, weird.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
And Yuasa doesn't list a YTZ14(L)-S. I know all the picture show the YTZ14-S with the terminals reversed, and even Yuasa info shows that they are incorrect, but have called a Honda dealer to see if they actually have one? That battery is used in several Honda models, so they may carry one.

Here is the amazaingly simple answer from Yuasa: the battery is laying on its side-not on end. Fooled me too because I called them and was certain I had it correct. And by the way it is vented. It has a specially oriented vent that allows this.

OP
OP
Rich
Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Here is the amazaingly simple answer from Yuasa: the battery is laying on its side-not on end. Fooled me too because I called them and was certain I had it correct. And by the way it is vented. It has a specially oriented vent that allows this.
Hah! Who'd a thunk it?
Thanks

Top Bottom