[Review] Being seen

OP
OP
Jason
Attached is a small article I have written for the CVMG (Can. Vintage M/C Group) newsletter. It was well received.

[/QUOTE]
Thanks, Pete. Excellent information!

OP
OP
Jason
Also, these modulators do not work on LED Headlights. On the NT, you call accomplish that by pressing the starting button while riding.
Good information! I actually recently bumped my start button by accident and discovered I could modulate it. I don't suppose that would cause any problem to the bike, would it?

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Good information! I actually recently bumped my start button by accident and discovered I could modulate it. I don't suppose that would cause any problem to the bike, would it?
No, it will not.

Then the bike is gear, the start solenoid is disabled. Even if you press the start button when still in neutral, its starter gear will freewheel as the engine is spinning faster than it does. You will not damage the start if you hit the button when the engine is running or when you are traveling down the highway then in gear.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS & 3 XS650s
Most bikes use a small relay that disables the starter circuit whenever the alternator is putting out more than a certain voltage level - and that relay keeps the starter from being energized while the bike it running.

The issue is this: by using the starter button as a headlight modulator, you are putting A LOT more uses on that button than it was intended to experience and so the contacts inside may be taking a bit of a beating. Also - if that relay ever fails to operate, the starter will engage the running engine and it, or something within the engine such as the ring-gear on the clutch basket could be damaged - with expensive consequences.

I would urge you to use a proper modulator. They are not expensive, they are easy to install and they do not risk damaging anything.

Now, on the issue of modulators for LED lights - apparently, there are modulators that work with LEDs.

It is just a question of tracking one of these models down and using it if you have swapped an LED headlight onto your bike.

Last edited:
Top Bottom