[Review] Bering Summer Jacket

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
With the weather warming up I decided to get a summer jacket. Having reached a certain age where the skin doesn't heal as quickly as it used to, riding without a jacket is not a sensible option (tell that to the youngsters).

I decided I needed something which would allow the air in, keep the water out and have some protective inserts. A nigh-on impossible task. Well...

I found a jacket from Bering which has "openwork" fabric, shoulder and elbow protectors and a pouch which contains a Bright Yellow (fluorescent) waterproof over jacket. You need to replace the foam back-protector with a proper back protector.

Wore it today and it is wonderful. Once you get moving you feel cool and comfortable. It was a joy to ride the bike and not having to wring out your clothing afterwards.

We have rain forecasted for tomorrow so I'll probably get chance to try out the waterproof over-jacket.

Here's a link to the Bering UK catelogue http://www.beringclothing.co.uk/catalogue/feature2.jsp?name=Hybrid, BLACK/WHITE, S&categorykey==1110 (although I bought it in France).

I wore this jacket all summer and I am extremely pleased with it. A lighter colour would be better in the more warmer climes but the black works well in France (unless you are stationary for long periods). The fluorescent waterproof over-jacket is also great when coming home in the cooler autumn evenings!

Last edited:
Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Thanks for the review, John. I will be looking for a summer weight jacket soon and, like you said, finding comfort and protection in a lightweight breathable jacket is difficult.

OP
OP
JQL

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
I wore the Jacket all last summer and I was quite upset at having to put it away for the winter.

I really did enjoy wearing it - Cool, comfortable and light-weight. I'm looking forward to getting it out again for this summer.

I used the over-jacket a few times (probably less than half a dozen) and it worked well. You can certainly be seen with the over-jacket on!

Top Bottom