Big Lids and OEM Undercowl

Moto-Kafe

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Good info there, Phil.........thanks!!! I was a hair-thickness away from hitting the SEND button on the Large Pannier Lids.......but calmed down, and stepped away from the keyboard. Only had my bike 1.5 weeks now. I believe they came out to $375 shipped. I clicked on the Lower Cowling Kit, but their site said "Out of Stock"........unless I was looking in the wrong place??

I've used CMSNL.COM as a last resort for finding OEM parts for the vintage Japanese bikes that I restore.

Many times they are the only place that has the rare stuff. (Shipping is not all that bad either all the way from the Netherlands.)

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Good info there, Phil.........thanks!!! I was a hair-thickness away from hitting the SEND button on the Large Pannier Lids.......but calmed down, and stepped away from the keyboard. Only had my bike 1.5 weeks now. I believe they came out to $375 shipped. I clicked on the Lower Cowling Kit, but their site said "Out of Stock"........unless I was looking in the wrong place??
Not trying to force a hasty decision, but it sounds like the big lids have been discontinued by Honda. That means they are about to become unobtainium! If you want 'em, act quickly as once they are gone, they are gone. Been there, done that with other stuff. Still have the marks on my backside from the self-inflicted kicks.

Mike

Moto-Kafe

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I know guys.........
I want the new panniers, but do I really NEED THEM....is the question I keep asking myself?? I have (6) other bikes, plus a scooter. When I purchase a new (to me) bike, I get excited......tend to go overboard on 'farkling it out".........keep it a year or two, then sell it to buy another model that catches my eye. I probably will not put 10's of 1,000's of miles on my new NT700 like many of you guys will. I admire you......most of you are REAL Riders, not a Poser like myself in some ways. My 2008 Vstrom650 only has 13k miles but it is farkled out the hilt..........ready to go to Alaska (hopefully next summer, assuming all borders open). I will never get my $$$ return on what I have spent on it.......even for using it on the Alaska Trip. All this to say: I am trying to reframe myself from buying $1,000 of $$$$ worth of accessories for this NT. I am glad Phil posted the link.......it's good to know some of the rarer pieces are still "obtainable".......at least for the moment. I will let you know if/when I do "pull that trigger" and send them my CC info. Stay tuned.......
mark444

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
Riding on a bike is for happiness and if riding on a fully farkeld bike for a few thousand miles for a year or two gives you happiness for those few thousand mails, I am all for it.. the $$ are worth it...

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
JustPassinThru's right, IMNSHO, about the value of the big lids. I bust the 10kg weight limit almost every time I ride, but having the ability to increase the volume of my stuff I carry makes the bike a genuine long distance tourer for me. With the little lids, I'd probably be taking the topbox off and using a large drybag to travel.

As far as windshield's I have settled on the National Cycle V-Stream. I've got Oxford heated grips on Horse and they're better than the Honda heated grips I added when I bought Dudley (NT#1).

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I don't think the Big Lids are as popular in the UK/Europe which was the primary market for the Deauville. The NT was only brought here in limited numbers as an experiment.

ps. I've survived nicely without the Big Lids since Dec 2009 when I bought my NT. :)

Last edited:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
When the posts on my big lids shattered I put the small lids back on. I never did put the big lids back on after I repaired them. For most of my overnight trips on the NT I found with the small lids, top box and a dry bag I had all the storage room I needed. Many others on this forum have never put on the large lids including those that camp with them.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I liked having the big lids. I had no top box so the big lids let me lock a helmet in the left one. That alone made it worth it to me as a commuter to work.

Brad

Reactions: JQL
Top Bottom