Bike dies when you gun it, fuel delivery issues?

stephensatt

My 2010 NT700V only has 8K miles on it, and ive done nothing special other than the oil changes. It runs kinda sluggish, but decent if I am smooth on the throttle, but will die if I give it a quick twist. So I can't rev it like normal. This started about 6 months ago. I thought at first I might have gotten bad gas, but after changing a couple tanks with premium, its still there. It doesnt get ridden allot and sits in a garage on a charger most of the time. I do put fuel stabilizer in it sometimes but I forget. It sounds like to me that the fuel system may be getting gummed up. Is there a good way to clean it, or is maybe the fuel pump going bad. I have been reading about that allot in the forums.

Check on the fault codes held inside the bike's computer. There is a nice thread on this website that tells you how to do that.

Is the check engine lamp coming on? If so, what are the fault codes that are displayed? Do you ride in a very dusty environment? If you do suspect a gummed up fuel system, siphon out as much of the old fuel as possible. Then refill with fresh fuel (premium is not necessary) and add Seafoam at the ratio of two ounces to each gallon of fresh fuel. Run a tank or two of this mixture thru the bike and see if it improves. Report back with your findings.

Good Luck!

Mike

Dirty, partially plugged air filter? Has it been changed r even looked at?
Good luck.

I agree with first checking for MIL (check engine) codes. If you have fault codes, follow the codes.

Also agree that if may be bad fuel or clogged air filter. I'd check these next. I would add change spark plug caps if not already done since they are a known problem when the engine is hot. Are you having the problem when hot? ...cold? .....or anytime?

If no codes, then the problems could be a fuel pump, crimped fuel line, vacuum line fell off or rubbed a hole in it, injector fault, throttle body rubber insulators developed air leak..... certainly there are more.

Also agree that if may be bad fuel or clogged air filter. I would add changed spark plug caps if not already done since they are a known problem when hot. Are you having the problem when hot? ...cold? .....or anytime?

Was any work done to your NT when the problem started? If so, that is the time when vacuum lines get removed and not re-attached, throttle bodies not seated well on insulators, fuel lines pinched, fuel tank breather line pinched or plugged. Vibrations can also rub thru the lines and create problems.

Sounds like a fuel OR spark problem

Have you had the spark plug caps changed as these were a problem on some of the 2010 models and Honda issued a service bulletin advising of the problem and replaced any defective ones at no charge?

I would start with the spark plug chaos as this should be an easy and cheap fix.

Seagrass

Welcome from a fellow Houstonian. My first thought was also the spark plug caps. Have the dealer check whether your bike was in that recall. Mine was. I use Honda of Houston on West Road, just off Hwy 290.

Good luck.

Chuck

I would check to see if your bike needs new spark plug caps. Mine did not, and it was an early 2010 model.

It does sound like a fuel/air issue. Dan covered most of it.

Before taking it to the dealer I'd run some fuel with a FI cleaner through it. Techron is one that comes to mind, but, there are others. I try to use Chevron/Texaco fuel in the bike for that additive.

If that doesn't work and the air filter is fine, then some dis-assembly is required (or a trip to the dealer). IIRC there is an inline fuel filter?? If so, check that too.

[..Have the dealer check whether your bike was in that recall (for plug caps). Mine was....]

I don't know if I even bothered with the VIN in regards to the recall. I just ordered new caps and lived happily ever after. :)

could be fuel or ignition or even both with a bad computer or even a bad battery that fools the computer...

Back
Top Bottom