Bike for Mexico trip

andydavis

I come to this forum, humbly, for sage advice. I will be buying a bike: I plan to tour from the SF Bay area to Michoacan (Mexico) in January and will be buying something. I've had 28 motorcycles. My last one was a 2010 ST1300, which I sold (stupidly) in June. My idea is that there are two parts to this ride: 1) getting there, and 2) being there.

Getting there, I want something fast with a good windshield and fairing (shouldn't have sold the ST1300). From SF to Tijuana or Mexicali is 500 miles, which I'd like to be able to do in a single, January day. Same for Tijuana to Hermosillo (also about 500 miles through boring desert). I test rode a 2010 BMW K1300GT last week, which was awesome, but didn't seem like the ideal "being there" ride (worried about ground clearance over numerous unmarked topes). I was going to look at a 2008 K1200GT with 49K miles ($4000) tomorrow...but that seems it might be even a worse idea.

I rode a 2010 Honda NT700V this afternoon at a dealership in Concord. 48K miles, old tires. They want $3500 (about $3800 with their fees). My impression: much lighter and nimbler than the ST1300, but probably fast enough and better on gas. I think I will buy it if they put on new tires for the same price. Still...it's an eleven/twelve year old bike...?

Also thinking a Versys 650LT, which might be ideal. Both of these have better gas mileage and aren't handicapped by too much horsepower. Riding something like a KLR650 might be good for "being there"...but I would die of boredom getting there.

The main thing I want is to get there and get back reliably and without too much drama.

Hi, Andy! Welcome to NT-Owners.org, one of the best Forums anywhere! We've got experienced and friendly riders (who ride NTs and quite a few other bikes as well). I've ridden my NT in Mexico, but not very far...only to Puerto Penasco, about 100km. I've ridden NTs to lots of other places. I rode my 1st '10 NT for 139,000 miles, including on my '13 "Epic Post-Retirement Ride to Alaska, the Four Corners of the US, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, and Labrador," an 80-day, 21,000-mile jaunt. In the summer of '20, I traded #1 in on #2, a practically identical '10 that had been owned by a good friend. #2 is "Horse," and had 22,000 miles when I bought it. So far, the only downside to the bike's age is that some of the Honda accessories aren't available unless you can find them on eBay. AFAIK, parts that will keep the bike running are widely available.

Riding to Puerto Penasco, I was on pavement all the way and following the speed limits, I had no problems with the pavement. As far as speed, during my Epic Ride, when I left San Diego, as soon as I got over the mountain into Eastern California, I was running 85-90mph to keep up with the traffic. Temperatures were above 100 (with a high of 113F) until I got past Tucson that night. The rest of the way across I-10, until not far west of San Antonio, speeds stayed at 85 or so. I had no trouble keeping up, and gas mileage stayed in the low 40mpg range. Overall, Dudley (NT#1) averaged 47.1mpg over the 108K miles I tracked on Fuelly.com. Horse is at 49.8mpg for the 5,900 miles tracked.

I've got a Russell Sport Seat on Horse, Clearwater Darla driving lights, and an McCruise electronic cruise control, plus big pannier lids, a top trunk, the Honda wind deflectors and undercowl, plus a bunch of smaller farkles. I'm sure that this will be the last bike I ever own (partly because I'm almost 79 and have had six knee replacements). I'll ride it as long as both of us can ride or until one of dies.

Finally Almost Done.jpg

V strom 650/1000 is another option, maybe not as comfortable as the NT but lighter, not a dirt bike but more capable off road than your average street bike. Sounds like a fun trip no matter what you are on. Enjoy!

I lived in So Cal growing up and I'm sure it's a lot worse these days so I'd avoid crossing at Tijuana or even Mexicali, both are in Baja and not on what I'd call the Mexican mainland. And that was eons before the migrant crisis which has probably cause those cities to balloon in population.

If you go further east along the US side, you can probably find a smaller crossing point that is easier. Yup, it's a boring ride along the bottom of AZ or NM but at least you're still in the US, if something unexpected happens.

ps. be sure to get motorcycle insurance for Mexico because you're not covered by your US policy.

Last edited:
I come to this forum, humbly, for sage advice. I will be buying a bike: I plan to tour from the SF Bay area to Michoacan (Mexico) in January and will be buying something. I've had 28 motorcycles. My last one was a 2010 ST1300, which I sold (stupidly) in June. My idea is that there are two parts to this ride: 1) getting there, and 2) being there.

Getting there, I want something fast with a good windshield and fairing (shouldn't have sold the ST1300). From SF to Tijuana or Mexicali is 500 miles, which I'd like to be able to do in a single, January day. Same for Tijuana to Hermosillo (also about 500 miles through boring desert). I test rode a 2010 BMW K1300GT last week, which was awesome, but didn't seem like the ideal "being there" ride (worried about ground clearance over numerous unmarked topes). I was going to look at a 2008 K1200GT with 49K miles ($4000) tomorrow...but that seems it might be even a worse idea.

I rode a 2010 Honda NT700V this afternoon at a dealership in Concord. 48K miles, old tires. They want $3500 (about $3800 with their fees). My impression: much lighter and nimbler than the ST1300, but probably fast enough and better on gas. I think I will buy it if they put on new tires for the same price. Still...it's an eleven/twelve year old bike...?

Also thinking a Versys 650LT, which might be ideal. Both of these have better gas mileage and aren't handicapped by too much horsepower. Riding something like a KLR650 might be good for "being there"...but I would die of boredom getting there.

The main thing I want is to get there and get back reliably and without too much drama.

I surely don't think that you would die of boredom riding a KLR 650 to our neighbor to the south.

I test rode a 2010 BMW K1300GT last week, which was awesome, but didn't seem like the ideal "being there" ride (worried about ground clearance over numerous unmarked topes). I was going to look at a 2008 K1200GT with 49K miles ($4000) tomorrow...but that seems it might be even a worse idea.
BMWs stand out wherever they go, and your risk of theft is very high. Might be something to consider if you don't want much drama.

The NT is a great "sleeper" bike, very capable, reliable, great gas mileage, easy access to parts, not a desirable bike to steal. Not an offroad bike by any means, but it can do some rough riding on gravel or dirt if needed.

Otherwise, a Suzuki V-strom 650 would be my choice. Bulletproof, efficient, fairly comfortable, can take abuse.

I agree with Harry however I don't know if the NT was ever sold in MX. If it has not, parts availability my be sketchy. As far as the bike's capability, you couldn't do better.

Mike

One of the negatives of the NC, and I've owned one since around 2016, is the smallish (3.7 gals) fuel tank. It's not a problem around here but in the wide open, western states and rural Mexico, that might be a problem?

My other gripe with the NC's fuel system is the dumb 5-bar display for fuel level. When it drops to the final bar it flashes red and there's still around 0.7 gals remaining but unless you're staring at the fuel display constantly, how would you know when it dropped to that final bar?

By comparison, when the NT's fuel needle drops into the red I can make a fairly accurate guess on how miles before I REALLY NEED to stop for fuel. :)

Someone in a previous post mentioned that the NT was never sold in Mexico so parts would be difficult to source locally but honestly you could say that about almost any Honda model. I would bet that more than half the bike models sold by American Honda were never sold in Mexico.

Last edited:
Someone in a previous post mentioned that the NT was never sold in Mexico so parts would be difficult to source locally but honestly you could say that about almost any Honda model. I would bet that more than half the bike models sold by American Honda were never sold in Mexico.

Which brings me to a question you probably know the answer to. If say for example you need an NT part (MEW) for a bike that was never sold in MX, how difficult would it be for the MX dealer to obtain that part if he had the part number? I remember back in the day when I worked at the dealer I had a CB77 (Superhawk) that I wanted to convert for road racing. Honda made a CR77 which had rearset controls, clip ons, etc. however the bike was never sold in the US. I placed an order with Gardena and was advised that they could order them but it would take a loooong time to get 'em and they wouldn't know the pricing 'til Honda Japan sent the invoice. IIRC, it took about three months but I got the stuff and the price was very reasonable. Is this still possible for bikes that are not sold in the ordering market?

Mike

It can be a problem of protocol and lines of communication.

A Honda dealer in Mexico cannot go directly to American Honda. The dealer in MX would have to ask Honda de Mexico in Guadalahara to contact American Honda in Torrance, CA, then the part can be ordered and start its slow travels back to the dealer in MX.

I figgered there would be a way. Once I discovered the scarcity of parts stocked by the dealer for the NT I became my own parts department. I keep in stock and carry with me on long rides; plugs, levers, light bulbs, clutch cable, throttle cables and crank sensor along with moly grease and Honda sealant.

Mike

V strom 650/1000 is another option, maybe not as comfortable as the NT but lighter, not a dirt bike but more capable off road than your average street bike. Sounds like a fun trip no matter what you are on. Enjoy!
I second the V-Strom 650. More than capable and will handle the bad Mexican roads better. US roads also. Bike does not break. Easy to work on if needed. Parts should be easy to get. If you go this route take a spare stator with you just in case. This is the only weak item I know of on the gen one and twos.

Last edited:
I will also recommend the Vstrom DL650 as it is a very sound stead and capable of much more than many owners realise. The fuel economy is also excellent.

Seagrass

Back
Top Bottom