Bike insurance

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
My bike insurance is bundled with my home and car and umbrella. It went up 2o percent this year. The 2014 FJR is 337, the 2015 VFR is 276 (!) and the 2017 Suzuki Vstrom is 224. If I pay early I get $111 back. Some years it has dropped but I think the Spokane market with all its crashes do to overcrowding might have something to do with it. And the riding season being longer due to the change in climate. And inflation.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Just for conversation sake, as every insurance price is different because of so many variables. My policy is up for renewal next week. My 2014 FJR full coverage is $152.00. My 2019 Versys 1000 SE is $187.00 full coverage. The 2013 V-Strom is $47.00 liability only, and the 2017 Versys X300 is $44.00 liability only. All for a years policy period. final total is $434.00 for the year. Dairyland motorcycle insurance, been with them for over 40 years except when I was in Hawaii for two years. I have had three claims with them during that time, and they were prompt and did me right. All my other insurance needs are with USAA. Maybe Coyote Chris needs to shop around a bit.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Fellow Washingtonion... YIKES! For me, liability only for the NT and CB500X is $95/year. Just checked what it would cost if I had added full coverage... $300/year for both motorcycles. I haven't made a claim for 30+ years on car, home, boat (sold), or motorcycle.

My full coverage for a 03 Tundra and 08 Honda Fit is $1080/year and was up 12% this year. I'd go to liability only on both of these but comprehensive and collision is <$200/year, so... meh, I keep it.

With police not allowed to pursue criminals in most cases in WA maybe that resulted in more motorcycle theft, speeding, and wrecking and driving insurance rates up in eastern WA. Or alternately, it's climate change. We may never know.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Just for conversation sake, as every insurance price is different because of so many variables. My policy is up for renewal next week. My 2014 FJR full coverage is $152.00. My 2019 Versys 1000 SE is $187.00 full coverage. The 2013 V-Strom is $47.00 liability only, and the 2017 Versys X300 is $44.00 liability only. All for a years policy period. final total is $434.00 for the year. Dairyland motorcycle insurance, been with them for over 40 years except when I was in Hawaii for two years. I have had three claims with them during that time, and they were prompt and did me right. All my other insurance needs are with USAA. Maybe Coyote Chris needs to shop around a bit.
One of the things that holds me down is my wife has 3 attack dogs. Dog bites and back yard trampolines are big red flags to insurance companies. And she has money to protect. So we have an umbrella policy. 3 mil. The problem with that is your cost of insuring each vehicle for liability goes up to a min. $500,000 per vehicle.
Insurance verys state to state at any rate.
But Chuck is right. I could not tell my insurance company I have three bikes and insure with Progressive, for instance. And I may yet do that as I age. The devil is that if some Lawyer says I was negligent in a civil suit in causing the Californian in an SUV to slam into the semi by leaving my bright lights on, they will go after the money and Safeco wont honor the umbrella policy, so the lawyer will go after my estate.
If you are poor, then dont worry about it. In Texas, they can not take any of your paid off house. Or paid off Hummer. In WA, they can take up to 90 percent.
Speaking of insurance, my wife had a slow speed deer strike....didnt even pop the air bag....and it was $9,000.

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
Interesting. My 2021 V-Strom 650 full coverage is $34.04 for six months with State Farm. Even in litigious New Mexico.

However, my total insurance bill is huge: Home, F150, Grand Cherokee, Pioneer 700, V-Strom, travel trailer, and umbrella policy. Over $3,600 annually for the whole shebang.

State Farm has treated us fairly in the few claims over the past 10 years.

The deer strike we had 3 years ago in our Subaru Forester was “only” $3500. Small animal, slow speed.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've got State Farm on my house, my car, an umbrella policy and my bike for $2800/yr. The bike is $70/yr. They have been very good to me when I've had claims.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
[/QUOTE]
My bike insurance is bundled with my home and car and umbrella. It went up 2o percent this year. The 2014 FJR is 337, the 2015 VFR is 276 (!) and the 2017 Suzuki Vstrom is 224. If I pay early I get $111 back. Some years it has dropped but I think the Spokane market with all its crashes do to overcrowding might have something to do with it. And the riding season being longer due to the change in climate. And inflation.
[/QUOTE]

Just checked current Progressive policy for 3 motorcycles. It was $331 for 08/2023 to 8/2024 (less than previous years). In the past it has been more expensive. I also have an Umbrella policy which forces me to insure car, motorhome, and motorcycles even though they are "pickled" for the Winter (not driven) and are in WA not FL. Separate policy for MH. All other insurance is bundled with another carrier.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I've got State Farm on my house, my car, an umbrella policy and my bike for $2800/yr. The bike is $70/yr. They have been very good to me when I've had claims.
I assume the $70 is Liability only?

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
[/QUOTE]

Just checked current Progressive policy for 3 motorcycles. It was $331 for 08/2023 to 8/2024 (less than previous years). In the past it has been more expensive. I also have an Umbrella policy which forces me to insure car, motorhome, and motorcycles even though they are "pickled" for the Winter (not driven) and are in WA not FL. Separate policy for MH. All other insurance is bundled with another carrier.
[/QUOTE]
I am a bit confused....Is your house insured with Progressive in a bundle with everything else? Your umbrella policy is with whom? You say it forces you to have some sort of insurance on MH but you have a separate policy for it.
$331 for three bikes of value if they are insured for Collision and comprehensive and liability is a steal.
My three $500,000 liabilities (because I have a 3 mil umbrella) are 116, 81, and 71. I could self insure the bike values but of course WA is a "no Fault" state so even if an accident were not my fault, I might be out the cost of the bike.
I am wondering if I called to see how much the guest pax insurance is costing me...maybe I can delete that.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Interesting. My 2021 V-Strom 650 full coverage is $34.04 for six months with State Farm. Even in litigious New Mexico.

However, my total insurance bill is huge: Home, F150, Grand Cherokee, Pioneer 700, V-Strom, travel trailer, and umbrella policy. Over $3,600 annually for the whole shebang.

State Farm has treated us fairly in the few claims over the past 10 years.

The deer strike we had 3 years ago in our Subaru Forester was “only” $3500. Small animal, slow speed.
I wonder what is the big difference here? You are paying $68 dollars a year for Liability and comprehensive $500 deductable in NM? on a 2021 Vstrom? My 2017 Vstrom is $201!
It looks like if I shop around I could save maybe $300 a year.....going outside the umbrella. The only problem with that is of course if as I said, some lawyer said it was my fault his client's SUV plowed into a semi hurting 3 of his kids.....the insurance company is gonna pay him the $500,000 and walk away and leave me twisting in the wind. For right now, I am gonna stand pat.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I assume the $70 is Liability only?
No. I've got a $200 deductible and full liability. Plus I totaled my C10 Concours in 2007, did $2800 in damage to the replacement C10 and $2800 to my 1st NT (the last two were both the result of deer running into me). The 2nd deer damaged my left hand to the tune of $12,000 worth of surgery and four months of rehab. And after all that, I can't handle tools (not even a knife and fork).

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
No. I've got a $200 deductible and full liability. Plus I totaled my C10 Concours in 2007, did $2800 in damage to the replacement C10 and $2800 to my 1st NT (the last two were both the result of deer running into me). The 2nd deer damaged my left hand to the tune of $12,000 worth of surgery and four months of rehab. And after all that, I can't handle tools (not even a knife and fork).
I guess I am speachless. How much liablility? Chuck , how much do you pay exactly in Colorado...? Its true that Phil's bike isnt worth that much Bluebook value but still........

Top Bottom