Bike lift and the NT question

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Crawling around on the carport floor works for doing an oil change, but most other maintenance calls - or at least is easier with better angles!

However, some motorcycles do not play well with old fashioned two-arm lifts.

So can the NT be lifted effectively on a floor lift such as the Harbor Freight atv / motorcycle lift? I don't want to devote the floor space to a full on table lift, but I would like to get it off the deck for future purposes.

Harbor Freight ATV / Motorcycle Lift

Thanks in advance,

Rick

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Those lifts are primarily designed for Motorcycles with a frame under the engine. You could use it if you protect the engine.

Have a look at Abba Stands as they don't take up much space, I don't know if they do one for the NT though - email them ask ask them if they have an adaptor kit.

Go for the Table lift..you won't regret it..Your bike can be stored on it during the off season.. Tires can be changed so much easier and all your garden stuff can be cleaned and serviced and can also be used as a portable work bench...no more scratching around on the floor ...I have had mine seems like forever and I and never regret the purchase. Safety is also a concern and the other style is an accident waiting to happen imho.....

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I agree about the Harbor Freight lift over the side lift alternatives. I've never regretted buying it and it has really come in handy plus saves wear & tear on my lower back. Working on something standing upright is a lot better than being stooped over! And as one of the previous posters mentioned, I use it for a parking space for whichever bike I'm not riding. :)

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Yes, the HF table lift is the way to go. I made wood out riggers for my feet and park my FJR on the lift. Saves on the back when doing maint or repairs.

You guys ask for it. More Pictures.:biggrin:

SAM_0365.JPGSAM_1283.JPGSAM_2317 (1024x768).jpgSAM_2437.JPG

OP
OP
basketcase

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Thanks for the feedback on the lifts. I am thinking of maintenance on the NT and about servicing the Gold Wing that I'm prepping to sell. It lives inside, so to speak, but I still plan to do a full fluid update, and I've got to remove the top cover and other bodywork to extract my Zumo GPS from the system. Of course, if the right buyer came along, I could always let the GPS go with the bike.

Anyway, The lift table seems the better option for lots of reasons. Thanks again.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Those "silver rods" are not clamped to the jack platform and are free to move from side-to-side to best lift the bike at a secure point. I have a similar jack bought as an addition to my lift.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
The Abba Skylift is awesome. I only need a lift a couple times a year and mostly for tire changes so it's great that it packs away and out of the way and doesn't take up any floor space when put away.

IMG_20230204_092434.jpg

IMG_20221209_155902.jpg

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Yes, the HF table lift is the way to go. I made wood out riggers for my feet and park my FJR on the lift. Saves on the back when doing maint or repairs.

SAM_0365.JPGSAM_1283.JPGSAM_2317 (1024x768).jpgSAM_2437.JPG
That damned garage is disgusting.......
:censored:
Mike

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Hey I got a good friend that lives in Bettendorf, John OoSTerhuis He is on the ST-owners and ST-riders sites. . As far as dinner in the garage, sorry all booked up through the year.:biggrin:
We haven’t seen John O in a long time. I remember seeing him at Spearfish NatSTOC and some other STOC in SE MN a few (maybe 6 to 10) years ago. Glad to know he’s still around.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Yea John still has his 91 ST1100 (Gray Ghoost) but I don't think he rides much if any any more. Last I talked to him about the bike he said it needed brake work. Probably needs some more work as it has not been ridden a while

OH Man....Should you reconsider or have a cancellation...you know we could all sit and eat off the floor.!!!!!!....Mr. Oosterhuis..would he be aged mid 70s retired Army?? 1.9 miles from me!!
Yep that's him. If you stop in and say hi. drop my name. He is very good people.

Had his bike up on my HF table lift doing a tire change one year when he was out here for WESTOC.

IMG_2003.JPGIMG_2017.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
basketcase

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V

SAM_1283.JPGSAM_2317 (1024x768).jpg
Good morning! I snipped out several pictures as to focus on the two that get to my question.

I have been looking at this lift and am leaning heavily towards snagging one. Until I saw your outriggers I was thinking I would need to have my machinist / welder / JOAT nephew weld ... say ... 6" of metal sheeting to each side to accomplish the same task. My question now it, "How wide are your outriggers?"

Next, is the lift itself wide enough that can you park your NT on it and then lower the side stand to dismount? I can just hear my wife verbalating every time I park until she has thrown up her hands and resigned herself to the fact that I'm going to do what I'm going to do. That said, I appreciate her concern for my safety and do see the potential for a tumble. At age 68 and as a stroke survivor, I'll go which ever route works best (outriggers like yours, or plate welded on) to minimize the risk of a fall. So I would appreciate knowing the width and about the side stand.

Thanks in advance for the additional feedback,

Rick

The lift is 27" wide and 7" high when in the down position. so there is a ramp sloping from the floor to the lift. I would not recommend using it daily unless you are built like Hercules I only use mine for winter storage and maintenance duties..The bike will work ok on the kickstand ......just.....more so if you bias a little bit to the right when loading...During the last few years I feel better when there is another person to balance the bike when getting on and off the lift.... I fitted a wheel chock at the front which is a big help to stabilize the bike..My lift is 8years old and have had zero issues...thankyou Harbor Freight......

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Out riggers are 4 foot long 7 inches high and 1 foot wide. When side stand is deployed it rests on the out rigger. Then I dismount the bike on to the out riggers for my feet. I then put the bike up on the centerstand. I am almost 74 years old and have CAD (Coronary artery disease, ) with coronary stent. What is nice about the stand alone out riggers is I can move them out of the way when working on the bike. Yes it takes a bit of practice to ride the bike up onto the lift. That is why the outriggers are there, For a place to put your feet. Now my FJR lives on the lift. Same procedure but heaver bike. You can make the out riggers as long as you want with ramp up fronts. Your design, your choice. What ever works for you.

Top Bottom