Black Ice

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Here in Spokane, Black Ice is a real problem. Today was 46....it gets below freezing at night and warms above during the day.
I decided to ride but I checked the road temp first and was careful in the "shady" spots.... (that's a joke....very little sun in the winter....)
road temp.jpg
a ride.jpg

Black ice or diesel fuel on the road gives the same result. Most likely you on the ground sliding with little to no control. Then you have a scrapped up bike that the insurance company wants to "Total" over damaged plastics instead of paying to repair.

Simply do not risk it.

Chris, I sure remember the wonderful Black Ice we had when I lived in Bonners Ferry ID 1966-67. It was good practice for the Black Ice here in coastal ME. The warm air from the ocean comes in as fog and settled on the pavement. When it freezes it looks like wet pavement and gets real dicey. They sell a lot of studded tyres here. I keep my bikes and Shelby under wraps in the winter. Right now we are having a major winter storm.

I keep my bikes and Shelby under wraps in the winter. Right now we are having a major winter storm.

I wondered how bad it was at your place. It got up to 65F here in Greeley today and I rode to a buddy's house and he managed to get my bar end weight out and we installed the Koako Throttle Lock that I've had since early in October. Then I took a nice ride up to Cheyenne and then back roads home SE of Cheyenne to the little town of Grover and home. 190 miles in 2021!! Woo-hoo!! I hope all you guys keep power going and don't have any major catastrophes!

Chris, I sure remember the wonderful Black Ice we had when I lived in Bonners Ferry ID 1966-67. It was good practice for the Black Ice here in coastal ME. The warm air from the ocean comes in as fog and settled on the pavement. When it freezes it looks like wet pavement and gets real dicey. They sell a lot of studded tyres here. I keep my bikes and Shelby under wraps in the winter. Right now we are having a major winter storm.
I have been watch your storms come in...lucky you.....Black ice would occur in the mid west but not like out here....they cover the roads with a fine gravel that helps with cars....I am not a fan of studs. They tear up the roads something fierce but the tire shops pay off the state policticans to not outlaw them. I dont know how many people they kill with aquaplaneing in the trenches of the interstate but I do know that antilock brakes and traction control are a good thing on bikes and cars.

I wondered how bad it was at your place. It got up to 65F here in Greeley today and I rode to a buddy's house and he managed to get my bar end weight out and we installed the Koako Throttle Lock that I've had since early in October. Then I took a nice ride up to Cheyenne and then back roads home SE of Cheyenne to the little town of Grover and home. 190 miles in 2021!! Woo-hoo!! I hope all you guys keep power going and don't have any major catastrophes!
As a pilot, you will appreciate this. The jetstream at 100,000 ft changed 100 degrees F, setting up the current storm parade.....
polar vortex.jpg

Black ice or diesel fuel on the road gives the same result. Most likely you on the ground sliding with little to no control. Then you have a scrapped up bike that the insurance company wants to "Total" over damaged plastics instead of paying to repair.

Simply do not risk it.
When I drive and I have an idea it might be slick (we have lots of hills here) I slow way down and tap the brakes to check for traction...there are road sections that are on the north side of hills that never see the sun.....
In yesterday's and today's case, we have a Chinook that kept the temps last night in the 40s (normal high is 37) so I checked the road temps and rode each bike 20 minutes....cooler air is on the way.

I won't put studded tyres on any of my vehicles. Good snow tyres on all four corners do the job in most cases.

I won't put studded tyres on any of my vehicles. Good snow tyres on all four corners do the job in most cases.
You're missing the fun... ;) When I was in High School in Great Falls, MT, we always enjoyed doing a burnout with studded snow tires. Smoke and sparks! And an occasional hole when one came out and went thru a fender well. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom