Blue Job Chrome Polish restored my nasty Header Pipes

I have used many different chrome polishes before on exhaust components with not much luck, particularly on badly blued pipes.

On the recommendation of a friend, I decided to try Blue Job Chrome Polish on the header pipes on my new-to-me NT700V. It's a powder and has to be mixed into a thick paste to use it, so it takes some practice to get good with it, and it also takes some elbow grease and a good amount of work to get results. But, dang, this stuff works!

Here's a picture of one header pipe that I just finished and the other not yet started.

Exhaust Header Pipes_Blue Job_Resized.jpg

That's the open container of the Blue Job powder in the bottom right. Yes, this one pipe took me a good 45 minutes of work to get it this nice, but the results speaks for itself. This pipe actually was worse than the one I hadn't started on yet. You can do this by buffing/polishing by hand, but it will take forever. You really need to use a small cloth buffing wheel attachment on a hand drill to get a pipe done in 30 or 40 minutes instead of a few hours.

Here's the Blue Job product advertisement on Amazon where I bought it from.

Blue Job Chrome Polish.jpg

The little buffing cloth that comes with the polish is worthless, don't bother with it. Instead I used 1" wide cut strips of Scotch-Brite pads (the least abrasive blue ones) to apply the paste to the pipes and work it in by hand. Wet the Scotch-Brite pad strip, wring it out, and dip it in the Blue Job powder to pick some of it up. Then apply the paste to the pipe and rub in in by hand with the pad. Just the action of rubbing the paste in by hand with the pad actually starts the cleaning process. So go ahead and rub away for a minute or two when applying the paste. (If you have water running down the pipe, you either have your Scotch-Brite pad too wet or not enough Blue Job powder on the pad. It needs to be almost as thick as toothpaste as you work it onto the pipe.) Once the paste dried to a white haze I buffed it off with the small buffing wheel on a hand drill. (Your cloth buffing wheel needs to be damp too. Not soaking wet, but damp.) I probably repeated this process at least a dozen times to get the results you see on the finished header pipe in the picture above.

This worked so well that I decided to try to restore the header pipes on my 1983 Honda GL650I Silver Wing Interstate. The pipes on it were so blued from running lean when I got it that they were almost black. Worst pipes I've seen in some time. I thought they were toast, but Blue Job cleaned them up like new. About an hour's work on each pipe, but they came out great.

So, if you have some nasty header pipes that you think are beyond restoration, get some Blue Job and work it!

Last edited:
Bike
'10 NT700, '02 BMW 1150GS
I am considering having the headers ceramic coated. I did this with my GS and was really pleased with the results. Does not look exactly like chrome, but pretty close, and no more polishing. Used Jet-Hot. No prep necessary. Just send them in. Costs ~$200 USD.

Bike
2010 NT700V
I've used VHT Flameproof in the past with good results. It's a consumer ceramic coating that comes in a rattle can. You can get it at most auto parts stores. The headers just need to be baked after application. In an oven or fire up the bike and run it for the prescribed time.

Last edited:

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
I've used VHT Flameproof in the past with good results. It's a consumer ceramic coating that comes in a rattle can. You can get it at most auto parts stores. The headers just need to be baked after application. In an oven or fire up the bike and run it for the prescribed time.
any pics? what color did you use?

Bike
2010 NT700V
any pics? what color did you use?
If I do, I don't know where they are. This was a few years and several bikes ago. I just went with the silver on the two bikes I did. Like any painting, surface preparation and technique is paramount.

Bike
2010 silver NT700
I have read on another motorcycle forum, that Barkeepers Friend works on SS exhaust pipes. You mix the powder into a paste and put in on the pipe. Leave it for several minutes then rub.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Interesting. I had my NT for 9 years, it was parked outside and my pipes never got worse than a gold color. Only occasionally put any polish on them.

Bike
2010 silver NT700
I have read on another motorcycle forum, that Barkeepers Friend works on SS exhaust pipes. You mix the powder into a paste and put in on the pipe. Leave it for several minutes then rub.
I tried the Barkeepers Friend and it didn't work very well. I had some Mothers Aluminum Mag Polish. So I tried that along with a grey 3M finishing pad. Worked really well with little effort.

Bike
ST1300,R1200RT
Although I no longer have or ride my NT , I continue to visit this forum almost daily. I purchased new exhaust pipes so I can have them coated but never completed the project. If there is some one who would want them, I would gladly donate them for the cost of shipment from Livonia Mi. I also have original NT windshield, same deal.
Long time rider and current observer!

Top Bottom