Blue Ridge Parkway Saturday

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Hi Guys,
Temperatures are climbing in the lowlands of Virginia, but up on the Blue Ridge Parkway, it is 15 degrees cooler. I took a ride from the Otter Creek area (milepost 64) north to the end on Afton Mountain, and it was a great day of riding. The road has been resurfaced with gravel sprayed with tar, and it is packed down nicely so the corners are sublime. There were loads of bikes, including a train of 15 Harleys, two of which decided to go straight instead of into a turn. 900 pounds of Ultra Limiteds to pull back up the slope. Thankfully no one was hurt.
The rest of the bikes were mainly adventure style, and a few crotch rockets going much too fast and getting the attention of the park police.
The NT700V is perfect for this road. It seems to instinctively know how to move through a turn, and has plenty of power on tap to pull through them smoothly. A zen like ride. "Oh yeah!" moments throughout.

nt700v_610.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Gabe

Tek Monkey
Bike
2011 Black Honda NT700VA
Nice! (Except for the off-roading Harleys, glad no one was hurt). I've been meaning to get down to the blue ridge mountains - not that far away from me in Maryland. Good to hear it's been resurfaced too, I smell a Blue Ridge trip this summer.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
My son and I rode the BRP and Skyline Drive last fall. Excellent ride!

Mike

Bike
2010 Red NT700
People complain and try to pee on your brain about the 45MPH speed limit. I rode the BRP a couple of years ago and found it to be a delight. And there were many times on the BRP I felt that 45MPH was as fast as I dared to go.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I think a major portion of the BRP used to be 35 mph. Is my memory wrong? again?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I think a major portion of the BRP used to be 35 mph. Is my memory wrong? again?
The Skyline Drive starts at Front Royal (?) IIRC and runs into the Blue Ridge Parkway at I-64. It's 95 miles and it has the 35mph speed limit. And 35 was plenty, just like the BRP's 45 is plenty.

OP
OP
harryhendo
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
When they were resurfacing the BRP last year, they did lower the speed limit to 35mph, but it was so difficult to ride on (loose gravel) that you couldn't get to 35. But now that the resurfacing is complete, it is back up to 45. There are a few sections (like around Humpback Rocks) where the limit is 35, mainly due to the popularity of that section and the yahoo drivers who make bonehead moves there.

I know the BRP very well now, but still rarely get above 50mph. It is a thrill a minute at that speed, and the lack of any guardrails next to 1000 ft drops makes it even more of a thrill.

One of my riding buddies said that when his days are done, he'll get on this Triumph and just ride off one of those curves into the sky. I told him that people would say "Gee, what a shame. Such a beautiful motorcycle".

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
The NT actually does very well in the twisties, far better than would be expected given its weight and saddle height. I put Traxxion Dynamics front suspension on mine, and Continental tires, which made it perform just how I like.

Top Bottom