Blue Ridge

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Rode Skyline and Blue Ridge to Maggie Valley. In 2 days you ride a long time to get end to end at 35/45 mph.
1.jpg2.jpg

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I did some of that ride back in '07 after I left the Concours Owners Group National Rally at Canaan Valley State Park, WV. I got on the Skyway right at noon, got off just north of Roanoke, spent the night there, then rode VA-8 back to the Blue Ridge Pkwy. I stayed on the Parkway until I decided I wouldn't get to my brother's house in Spartanburg, SC, for supper. So, I bailed off the Blue Ridge Parkway at Gillespie Gap and rode down to I-40 near Marion. I managed to make it to my brother's at about 6:30. Riding the whole Parkway would be something for a trip without a limited time frame!

Bike
Black 2006 NT700V
In just over two weeks time my husband and I will in the US until early December visiting our daughter and her family (who now live in Durham, NC) and as part of our visit we'll be doing a two week 'Fall Foliage' trip along the Blue Ridge Mountains.

We'll start our journey on Skyline Drive (near Front Royal, VA) and then head south through Shenandoah National Park and then along the full length of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Unfortunately we'll be travelling by car - but at least we're doing it!

You can see our planned route (which includes a day of fly fishing for my husband in the South Holston River and a visit to the Barber Motorsports Museum in Birmingham, Alabama) here: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/10347794

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Wow! That sounds real nice. You should have some really good views from up there. None of the lodges will be open in the park (Big Meadows or Skyland). They'll be closed for the season.

With most of the leaves off the trees at that point, you should have some really nice vistas along the road.

Enjoy!
In just over two weeks time my husband and I will in the US until early December visiting our daughter and her family (who now live in Durham, NC) and as part of our visit we'll be doing a two week 'Fall Foliage' trip along the Blue Ridge Mountains.

We'll start our journey on Skyline Drive (near Front Royal, VA) and then head south through Shenandoah National Park and then along the full length of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Unfortunately we'll be travelling by car - but at least we're doing it!

You can see our planned route (which includes a day of fly fishing for my husband in the South Holston River and a visit to the Barber Motorsports Museum in Birmingham, Alabama) here: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/10347794

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
With most of the leaves off the trees at that point, you should have some really nice vistas along the road.

Enjoy!
I beg to differ with RM.....at least in NC Blue Ridge. peak WILL be in 2 weeks Kathy. you WILL have fantastic colors. peak at 3,000 - 4,000 ft elevations along blue ridge can vary, but normal is 2nd or 3 rd week on October, sometimes later if not a cold snap

Bike
Black 2006 NT700V
I beg to differ with RM.....at least in NC Blue Ridge. peak WILL be in 2 weeks Kathy. you WILL have fantastic colors. peak at 3,000 - 4,000 ft elevations along blue ridge can vary, but normal is 2nd or 3 rd week on October, sometimes later if not a cold snap
That's good to hear and it's what we're hoping for - I'll try and post some photos from our trip as we go.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I thought they were going to be running Skyline Drive in December. :doh1: Not many leaves on the trees in December. :cool:

The lodges will definitely be open and probably very busy. I think the VA Dept of Forestry is predicting peak foliage along the ridge at October 10 - 20.

It is always a pretty drive...all the more when the trees start changing.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
i'll try and post some photos from our trip as we go.
PICS ARE NOT ALLOWED UNLESS ON A M/C, THIS IS A M/C FORUM!!:smile::cool::doh1: SO YOU MUST SPEND $10,000 SHIPPING YOUR M/C HERE TO USA!!

Bike
Black 2006 NT700V
PICS ARE NOT ALLOWED UNLESS ON A M/C, THIS IS A M/C FORUM!!:smile::cool::doh1: SO YOU MUST SPEND $10,000 SHIPPING YOUR M/C HERE TO USA!!
OK - I'll find someone's motorcycle to sit on when we get to the Tail and take a pic ...

I also wish it wasn't so expensive to hire a motorcycle (or two - one for each of us) but then the other issue would be that our motorcycling gear would take up most of our airline luggage allowance and that would be OK except for the fact that we'll be in the US for nine weeks and do need to wear clothing other than motorcycle gear at least some of the time!

OP
OP
Miairhead
Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
There is a possibility I might be tailing down my NT and 84 BMW R100RT sometime and if I do and you have gear I let you and Hub ride if all works out. I planning on using the RV with the trailer (of course that is why I got both) more, that way I always know where I am spending the night. Time will tell if all works out.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
When we flew to the west coast and rented a bike for a three day ride, we shipped our gear over via UPS. Boxed it up and mailed it to my brother's since we were staying with him in CA. :D

OK - I'll find someone's motorcycle to sit on when we get to the Tail and take a pic ...

I also wish it wasn't so expensive to hire a motorcycle (or two - one for each of us) but then the other issue would be that our motorcycling gear would take up most of our airline luggage allowance and that would be OK except for the fact that we'll be in the US for nine weeks and do need to wear clothing other than motorcycle gear at least some of the time!

Bike
Black 2006 NT700V
You could also make a cardboard cutout of your motorcycle and place it somewhere in the picture.
Where's the 'Like' button?!

Good quality gear is bulky. I can imagine trying to get it into even a couple suitcases.
Yep - and the 'Care Package' (gotta have Vegemite!) and other stuff we're bringing for our daughter, son-in-law and grandsons is already taking up half our luggage allowance!

There is a possibility I might be tailing down my NT and 84 BMW R100RT sometime and if I do and you have gear I let you and Hub ride if all works out.[/QUOTE}
Thanks for the kind and generous offer but, as per my previous comment, we simply don't have the space to bring our riding gear this time - maybe next time ...

... we shipped our gear over via UPS.
Given international shipping rates it would be cheaper to buy all new riding gear (only problem with that is that we already have all the gear we need and that we wouldn't be able to use helmets bought outside of Australia in Australia).

However, when our daughter and son-n-law eventually build a garage we aim to buy some bikes and gear and store them in it ...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Kathy, I've got Dutch friends who bought a bike over here and store it in another friend's garage. The only problem they've had is that they couldn't register the bike in their name in Colorado since they weren't US citizens. So it's registered in the other friend's name. I think that worked until Harry (the Dutch owner) got some traffic tickets that got traced back to Rick, the Colorado garage owner). I think they ship their gear from Holland when they come over to ride. Harry has been averaging 80-85 days a year in the US and Coty, his wife has been spending 40-55 days a year here.

Top Bottom