Bmw f800gt

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Put in perspective. Sounds like replacing a belt costs about the same as have a major service done on the NT. :)

bicyclist

Typical failure mode for the BMW (actually Conti) belt is that the teeth start to strip off. They seldom break. When they start to get cracks at the root of the teeth, it's time to consider replacement. BMW specs 24K change interval, but most belts will last much longer. However, some didn't even make the 24K. The belt is expensive, costing about twice as much as a Harley belt, so it's worth running it as long as possible, keeping an eye on the root of the teeth. I sourced a spare belt from a wrecked F800 to take with me on long rides. I didn't want to be stuck 500 miles from a dealer who probably didn't have one in stock anyway. I also made a point of staying off gravel roads because, despite the guards, stones will work their way in.

On long rides, a chain needs daily maintenance, so you get used to that. A shaft driven bike requires nothing, so if you're used to that, owning an F800 requires a slight mental adjustment in that one needs to keep an eye on it, but not necessarily do anything.

Maintenance on the bike is simple. Valve clearances stay rock solid. Mine never changed in the 46K that I owned it. Oil changes are easy; the filter is readily accessible. The bike is easier to work on than the NT. I'd highly recommend the GS911 interface that gives access to the bike's CANbus. It lets you see exactly what the bike is doing and you can drop the data into a spreadsheet and look at graphs. I used it to prove my intermittent fuel pump failure when the dealer tech couldn't figure it out.

The F800 is a great bike to ride. Not as comfortable as the NT, but a lot more fun.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
To me a belt may be a good substitute for a shaft. Low maintenance and clean.
Another advantage I haven't seen posted here is the lighter weight (unsprung weight) should let the rear suspension work better and be more compliant.

Brad

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
To me a belt may be a good substitute for a shaft
Yes, as far as I know engineers still have not come up with a more efficient way to dirve a motorcycle than a chain and sprockets. The belt is a close second. Shaft drives have been known to rob up to 10% of the horsepower available. I believe that's why the NT is less powerful than either the 650 Versys and the Wee Strom.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I do like the shaft drive on the NT but everything is a trade off.
One downside to a shaft I haven't heard many talk about is the weight, unsprung weight. That gearcase weight must move with the rode bumps. It is hard make the suspension as compliant with the extra weight.

Brad

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
I do not remember the full details but IIRC the belt drive on the BM was a problem early on in that there was some type of fault with the system that meant that when the belt was changed the first time you also had to replace the front pulley as well to a modified type. The sting here was that the new pulley would not fit onto the original output shaft and required a gearbox strip-down to replace the output shaft to a modified type too. I believe that after a certain time BMW would not cover the cost as it was not considered a rework but a maintenance item.
Does anyone know more about this?

Macka

bicyclist

I do not remember the full details but IIRC the belt drive on the BM was a problem early on in that there was some type of fault with the system that meant that when the belt was changed the first time you also had to replace the front pulley as well to a modified type. The sting here was that the new pulley would not fit onto the original output shaft and required a gearbox strip-down to replace the output shaft to a modified type too. I believe that after a certain time BMW would not cover the cost as it was not considered a rework but a maintenance item.
Does anyone know more about this?

Macka
That's a new one to me. Mine was a 2007 which was early in the lineup in the US. If it was before that, it wouldn't have affected bikes sold here.

bicyclist

It sounds like all he does, is to remove the belt guard enough to slip the old belt off and slip the new belt on.
Yeah, that's pretty much the way I did it. There was something in the way that I had to move, but not a big deal.

Top Bottom