BMW police R1200RT-P

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
Just thought I'd post this for fun. My local BMW dealership gets used BMW police bikes now and then. I think they're all from California. Normally they're black and white, primarily white, and have all of the emergency lights and stuff still on them. This is the first one I've seen that doesn't have the black and white paint scheme. Maybe this is the motorcycle equivalent of a 'plain wrapper' cop car. Note the big tipover guards, and the tail trunk. Normally they have about 80k miles on them, but this one is just getting prepped for sale and it doesn't say how many miles are on it.

https://www.bmwmcgr.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=6442103

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
The California Highway Patrol has been using a lot more Harley Road Kings for a while now. Before that, they used the BMW RT1200s exclusively. LAPD is a mix of Honda ST1300s, BMW RT1200, and the Harley Road Kings. They held on to the KZ1000s for quite a while before fully retiring them from service. There was a brief time that both agencies were trying out the Kawasaki Concourse 14s. Seems that they did not work out as I do not see them anymore.

Last edited:
Bike
WR250R/KTM 890/KTM690
A friend bought one. I rode it. Not for me I don't care for the engine braking characteristic of the boxer engine. I think they look cool. The owner discovered the driveshaft was twisted. This is apparently caused by a life of rapid acceleration (running down speeders).

I know this is an old thread but I once bought a ex-police R1150RT-P (Napa California) off eBay. There was a guy selling them. Mine only had 30K on it, most seen for sale are retired at 90-100K. It was a supervisor’s bike, he must have spent a lot of time in HQs and the bike must have hit the number of years that they get rid of them at. It had a new clutch put in by the BMW dealer. The officer who rode it must have come from a Harley, that’s the reason why the clutches go at such little miles.

Top Bottom