BMW R100Rt

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I got roped into the Grand Rapids 53rd River Bank Run, taking a video photographer riding backwards for the 26K race. I took my 84 because the bags come off and it really is a little longer seat. Over an hour of 10 mph trying not to run into the TV crew or slower runners ( Men's elite race). Luckily is was 40 degrees so the airhead ran nice and cool, if it was normal temp I would of taken the NT.
BMW R100RT is always a fantastic machine, at 80 MPH or 10 it really is a great machine. I do enjoy being able to remove the bags, even though I only ridden a few times with off. Makes a lot of maintenance easier too.
BMW R100RT was a amazing set forward in turning motorcycles, fixed fairing, and of course shaft drive (no six gear, but I think no need). I also like the carbonation, let of throttle, and not abrupt engine drag, just a smoother engine compression slowing. In cold weather the cylinders can keep you feet nice and warm.

Bike
2013 Harley Police bike
Friend of mine in Fla. had an R100RT for a few years. I rode that bike some every time he made the trip here as well as when I made the trip to Fla. IMHO it is the best bike BMW has ever made.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
When I was looking to step up from my first bike, an ’83 Honda GL650i Silverwing, a friend recommended the R100RT. I could only find one near me and it was not in very good shape. About a year after I bought my first ’99 Concours, I saw a ’95 (IIRC) R100RT that was in mint condition. But by the time I could find my banker and get approval for trading the Connie in on the RT, it had been sold. I missed it by maybe 45 minutes. But the Connie was a pretty good bike for me and I never really regretted having to ride the two I owned 165,000 miles. :)

Top Bottom