Bob Higdon

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Some of you know the name, probably most don't. Bob Higdon is a recovering attorney. He practiced law in DC until, in his early 50s, he retired so he could devote his time to touring on a motorcycle. At one point he undertook a mission to ride to every courthouse in the US. He succeeded but I don't know how long it took him. He and Mike Kneebone who revived the Iron Butt Rally in 1986 became friends and Bob became the Iron Butt Association's general counsel and unofficial legal counsel. I met him Denver at an IBA National meeting. I saw a '10 silver NT parked a good distance away from all the other bikes at the meeting. After a couple of days without it moving, I wrote a note with my name, room number, and phone number on it and stuck it on the bike. That night at the banquet Lisa Landry who organizes programs, meetings, and rallies, was making a few announcements and then asked if Phil Tarman would stand up. I did and she pointed to Bob and said this man wants to talk with you. We met and talked a long time.

His NT was the first one I ever saw except for the 9 of us who had the largest gathering of NT to date in Michigan earlier that summer. I had bought mine in March and had about 12K miles on it. Bob had bought his in October of '09 in Brookhaven, MS, and had 38K miles on it by early September. He rode along with the Iron Butt Lite riders to Savannah, GA, after leaving Denver, then back to Brookhaven and bought another '10 ABS NT.

Bob had ridden over a million miles on a couple or four BMW K75 RTs, but as BMW began shrinking the number of dealers until one day when he was in northern MT, his driveshaft failed. The nearest dealership was over 400 miles away and when he go there, he learned that there were no driveshafts in the US and it would take 6-8 months to get one from Germany. It wasn't long until he'd found that Brookhaven Honda had one of the first NTs in the country. He bought it sight unseen. His verdict was that the NT was the K75 BMW should have built. I saw him again at the Big Sky Rally in Big Sky, MT. I was riding in the rally and Bob was there as one of the scorers. He was riding an '11 NT then but still had his 2nd '10. He kept one in Baltimore and the other in Daytona.

I hadn't seen him again until today. He's down to one NT, the '11 and it has a heavily duct-taped right big pannier lid. (He's looking for one, BTW. If you've got one I'll connect him with you.) He's not riding much anymore and came here on a Stingray. He's not terribly impressed with it, but it was either free or a long term loaner.

The time comes for all of us to stop riding. I hope I've got another 3-4 years. If I can make it out of the Provo Marriot Hotel and Convention Center in the morning, that put me a long way from stopping soon. 🤪

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Loved his daily Iron Butt Reports over the years- I have his book great read!!

Lee Ullmann
Iron Butt #14714

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Loved his daily Iron Butt Reports over the years- I have his book great read!!

Lee Ullmann
Iron Butt #14714
Lee, there's a 2nd volume of Higdon's Chronicles -- it's as good as the first. I know it's available on Amazon.

BTW, it's amazing how much the IBA has grown. I did my 1st SS1K in September of '99 and I've got #5811. When did you get #14714?

Are you following this year's IBR? The reports are at https://ironbutt.com/ibr2021/.

My IBA # is 56977 and I got mine in October 2013. I met Bob Higdon in March 2014 at the IBA's big meeting in Jacksonville and enjoyed talking with him. It was right after that meeting that I did the 100CCC. That year at least, the weather was not rider friendly and I spent many a mile getting drenched, blown around or frozen but I did it in 96.5 hours! Those were the days.........

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Between '99 when I got my number and '13 when you got yours, the IBA averaged 3650 new members a year. Between '13 and today (when membership is about 77,800, they averaged 9260 new members. Who knows, by 2035, every body who's riding an internal combustion engine motorcycle may be a member of the IBA, and all the poor schmucks on electric motorcycle will still be trying to get the first electric SS1K.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Unless battery technology greatly improves, there ain't gonna be any electric Iron Butts. Just us olde ICE Fartz ;)

Mike

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
We were talking about ICE vs electric vehicles at breakfast this morning and agreed that energy density will likely be a big factor in keeping ICE going for a long time. Frosty and Yoda both said that there wasn't enough electricity in Washington or Arizona to make all vehicles electric.

I noticed at the Marriot in Provo, that there were a grand total of two (count 'em -- 2!) charging stations.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
My Iron Butt Association Number was awarded Aug 17, 2005! Did a Saddlesore run from Galveston, Tx to Las Vegas, Nv in 33 hours- slept 8 hours in Deming, NM.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
That's a good ride. That's a Bun Burner 1500. I did one in '01 on my Concours and we slept three hours in Hutchinson, KS. Ours was a loop from Ft Morgan to Rocky Ford to Trinidad to Springer, NM, to Amarillo to OK City to Wichita to Hutchinson to Russell, KS, to Plainville, KS, to Holdredge, NE, and back to Ft. Morgan. Seems like we did it in about 35 hours, but we got waylaid by people who wanted to talk. :)

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Was on a 2003 Honda Gold Wing, not really a tough ride considering it had cruise control. No weather problems and hit Phoenix at noon little traffic.

Top Bottom