Body Panel Removal

Tom Reed

The Honda Service Manual instructions for removal of the left cowl pocket (Page 3-12) only mention removal of three bolts and one bolt washer. The instructions fail to mention that the cowl is also attached by a very strong velcro-like material and several tabs. The cowl pocket has three different types of tabs.

Instructions for removal of the meter cover mention removal of the two cowl pockets, two screws, and release of the tabs on the meter cover from the groves of the screen inner cowl. I was not able to release these tabs. I pulled and pried, but was afraid to use extensive force as I don't have a clue where the tabs are (other than the center tab which released easily) or the type(s) of tabs.

Does anyone have any info or how to get the meter cover off? Where are the tabs? What type of tabs? Is there any service manual that shows the tabs on the various body panels? Thanks

Tom
'09 V-Strom 650A
'10 NT700VAA

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
The Honda Service Manual instructions for removal of the left cowl pocket (Page 3-12) only mention removal of three bolts and one bolt washer. The instructions fail to mention that the cowl is also attached by a very strong velcro-like material and several tabs. The cowl pocket has three different types of tabs.

Instructions for removal of the meter cover mention removal of the two cowl pockets, two screws, and release of the tabs on the meter cover from the groves of the screen inner cowl. I was not able to release these tabs. I pulled and pried, but was afraid to use extensive force as I don't have a clue where the tabs are (other than the center tab which released easily) or the type(s) of tabs.
Does anyone have any info or how to get the meter cover off? Where are the tabs? What type of tabs? Is there any service manual that shows the tabs on the various body panels? Thanks

Tom
'09 V-Strom 650A
'10 NT700VAA
Do exactly what you were doing. I did the same thing, pulled and pried and pulled some more, afraid I would break the plastic. I was mentally prepared to buy another cover because I knew I was going to break it. It finally came off. The amount of plastic is not that much that has to come off of the bike, it is the types of interlocking tabs that make it such a pain in the *****. Just keep working at it. Carfully

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I am about ready to start drilling and adding some decent screws to retain the body panels!! I already got rid of most of the velcro (replace with stick on neoprene foam).

elizilla

The trick with the dual-lock under the ears on the pocket covers, is once you get it peeled apart stick a piece of cardboard in there. Then it won't get stuck back together, and you can slide the part out of the hook.

The trick with those tabs on the meter cover is just to pull it apart there. It won't break and there is no friendly way to get those tabs apart. It takes force.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
The trick with those tabs on the meter cover is just to pull it apart there. It won't break and there is no friendly way to get those tabs apart. It takes force.

Do you pull at the top or the bottom of the meter cover?

elizilla

I pulled at the top. Which is tough because there's not much to get ahold of, and you don't want to pry with a tool. But it did eventually just pop off when pulled hard enough.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Thanks! I had pulled there on mine and decided there must another strategy. I was afraid I'd break it if I pulled harder.

johnha

Nah, Phil, there is really no other way than force. The 'tabs' aren't very tall so I don't think they will break easily. Pull the bottom out a bit, wiggle, and pull the top. As Katherine mentioned you really don't want to blindly pry, as it is the body panels you're prying on.

Top Bottom