Bone conduction headphones for Motorcycle helmets. Why isn't this a thing?

Bike
2010 NT700V
For those unaware, bone conduction headphones don't go in your ears. Typically they are designed to sit just in front of the ear lightly pinching your cheek bones. Vibrations from transducers are transmitted directly to the bones of the inner ear, bypassing the eardrum. As a benefit you can leave ear canals free to hear ambient sounds, and these are the only headphones numerous biking/running race orgs allow. However, an often overlooked feature is using them with earplugs. Since they don't rely on the eardrum, you can plug up the ear canal and still hear audio. It actually sounds more rich with increased bass. I often ride with earplugs for wind protection, so bone conduction is a perfect candidate to try.

This came about because recently I tried installing some headset speakers in my Shoei, and the final fit wasn't good. It then dawned on me to try wearing the bone conduction headphones I already owned. This honestly should have been a no-brainer experiment to try before even buying the headset speakers, as I've had a set of these headphones for over a year and recently upgraded to the Aeropex. The Aeropex are small enough I'm able to slip on the helmet, and their presence in the helmet doesn't seem to be uncomfortable. I just did a ride on the other bike with helmet in wind stream at around 70 mph. Headphones were just a tick over medium and I could hear the music clearly. I did have to change the eq setting from my normal music listening setting to the mode that focuses more on mids and highs, as I found the other setting too boomy.

These headphones probably aren't ideal for helmet call communications, as the mics are up in the modules on your cheeks, and I don't think the manufacturer intended them to be covered up by foam. I'm just wondering why the likes of Cardo or Sena aren't introducing this tech on their headsets, it's nothing new. I ran a quick search, and all I could find was a little YouTube video a guy did a few years ago where he actually mounted transducers inside the helmet and a few people posing questions on Reddit. Instead of them blasting air waves into your helmet, I would think transmitting vibrations directly to the inner ear makes more sense.

Here's the video:

Last edited:

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Success is complete dependent on the users ability to hear because it requires good cochlea and hair cells to be effective. If a person has a hearing loss not related to the middle or outer ear problems, bone conduction hearing devices are ineffective. So, in summary, this will not likely help someone who has trouble hearing audio while riding a motorcycle. But it may be a good option for some folks.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 NT700V
Can you link to a specific manufacturer or review video that isn't some guy talking over road noize?
There is no manufacturer I'm aware specifically making these for motorcycles and enough people haven't gotten on board with combining the two. There are plenty of videos just talking about bone conduction headphones. The major player is a company called aftershokz, just run a search.

Success is complete dependent on the users ability to hear because it requires good cochlea and hair cells to be effective. If a person has a hearing loss not related to the middle or outer ear problems, bone conduction hearing devices are ineffective. So, in summary, this will not likely help someone who has trouble hearing audio while riding a motorcycle. But it may be a good option for some folks.
True, but that would go for any audio headset. The advantage with bone conduction is you can protect your ears with ear plugs of choice and still hear the audio. There's no need to risk uncomfortable and possibly damaging ear buds.

How in the world do these fit under a helmet?
Because they're very slim, at least the latest iteration is. They do slide off when removing the helmet, but I can slip on the helmet with them in place. The transducers on the Aeropex are about the size of the tip of your pinky finger from last joint to the end.

HarriSam

Are you using the microphone built in to the Aeropex in your video?

OP
OP
Bike
2010 NT700V
It's not "my" video, as I didn't create it.

The Aeropex is not being demonstrated in that video.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I think I am confused. I am not knocking these....if you like them, thats fine....I use a Uclear blue tooth interconnect with my phone. I get music and phone calls. The noise canceling mics are in the speakers next to my ear. There is a place in my brand of helmet for speakers so I dont notice them. I dont need or want earplugs. I dont want to monkey around with anything else. (Now Frosty has some high tech dynamic ear plugs that are the speakers that he has to screw into his ears and plug them into his helmet bluetooth jack every time he puts on his helmet...he LOVES them) I am here to tell you that the fit of my $600 progressive lens eye glass frames is important and I wouldnt have them over or under some sort of plastic bug with an ear loop with a helmet pressing on them. I would think that if these were the next big thing, people would be beating down the doors of any company that incorporated this design into their bike communications. As it stands, it looks like the answer to a question no one has asked.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 NT700V
Lack of demand is simply due to lack of exposure. Bone conduction headphones are
unknown technology to most people.

The benefit is that it's not a traditional speaker trying to overcome windblast to transmit the audio. I can put in a comfortable foam earplug with a known NRR that I normally ride with to protect my hearing. The bone conduction headphones are still audible and I don't need to raise their volume to dangerous levels.

Ideally the motorcycle specific application wouldn't be a wearable loop over the ears and the transducers would be integrated into the helmet liner instead.

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
check this out :) turn your whole helmet into a speaker :D

OP
OP
Bike
2010 NT700V
check this out :) turn your whole helmet into a speaker :D

Yeah, I saw that a few months ago. Unfortunately, the general consensus I've read is it's useless for any riding over like 35 mph. It's just vibrating the outer helmet shell. There's still the liner foam between it your head. Wholly inefficient way of getting the sound to your inner ear.

When I messed with the Aeropex under the helmet it was quite the opposite. With earplugs in and my helmet in 70 mph windblast it was totally listenable at just over mid volume. But that's understandable as the transducers are pinching my skull. Not sitting on the outside of my helmet with 3/4" of foam in the way.

Cardo, Shoei, somebody just needs to integrate small transducers into a helmet liner with adjustable position and tension. I don't see any reason why this couldn't be accomplished.

Last edited:

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
How in the world do these fit under a helmet?
I've the very same issue, alone that loom around the neck... already need some time getting the earpieces of my thin metal frame sunglasses in... I really fill out my lids...
Had Nolan N100 and now Shoei Multitec with Autocom headsets... coiled wires, all bike powered, no hustle with pairing nor battery charging... tunes, satnav, radio all come alive...

Top Bottom