bouncy rear suspension

Bike
2010 marroon NT700V
My NT700V rear suspension has lost most of it's dampening. It seems to bounce freely and the only way to stop the motion is to rise up on the pegs and let my legs absorb the bouncing. I'm thinking the rear shock is done. The bike is a 2010 with 30,000 miles. I called Honda dealer for replacement and they quoted a price of $907 for the shock alone. That's crazy.

Please provide some recommendations of alternative shock. OR can the shock be rebuilt.

Thanks
Mac

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Mac, I've got an extra. I had replaced mine and one of our former Forum members sold his NT and mailed me his shock. Send me your address and cover the shipping it's yours.

OP
OP
swinford57
Bike
2010 marroon NT700V
Wow. that is generous. What a find. I am unsure of how I can get you the money to cover shipping. I'll go the the FedEx store and inquire.

Did you replace yours with a Honda OEM shock? If not, what are alternatives. Just curious.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
you should see a bunch of oil that spewed around swingarm, tire, etc. mine blew out on my first NT. just ordered a new one,,,,,, BUT from www.partzilla.com. much cheaper

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
Well seems like my NT700 is also having the same issue, took it to the dealer today and he informed me that rear shock has gone (no rebound dampening) ~1k in cost.

i saw the NT rear shock for $510 on Amazon.

If I am spending that kind of money, any thoughts on better aftermarket units?

eg: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-NC700-NC750-NT650-NTV650-NT700-Shock-Absorber-Recondition-Service-Ohlins/303141565381

OP
OP
swinford57
Bike
2010 marroon NT700V
Well seems like my NT700 is also having the same issue, took it to the dealer today and he informed me that rear shock has gone (no rebound dampening) ~1k in cost.

i saw the NT rear shock for $510 on Amazon.

If I am spending that kind of money, any thoughts on better aftermarket units?

eg: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-NC700-NC750-NT650-NTV650-NT700-Shock-Absorber-Recondition-Service-Ohlins/303141565381
Honda dealer said there are no replacement after market shocks. Of course, that is what I expected them to say. I saw a thread on this site about an Ohlin unit that was rather stiff.

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
Honda dealer said there are no replacement after market shocks. Of course, that is what I expected them to say. I saw a thread on this site about an Ohlin unit that was rather stiff.

yes, me too. thats why i posted the link for the ohins unit. hoping more experienced people here can chime in....

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I had 96,398 miles when my rear shock blew. I was on a Motorcycle Sports Touring Association Ride to the SE side of Denver to visit a car museum and had just pulled on to I-25 with a buddy when the bike started feeling bouncy. I made it the 70 miles or so to the museum, but then after we rode just a few blocks to a lunch venue, it was considerably worse. And like Woodaddict says, there was a LOT of oil spewed over everything. I rode it to the Honda dealer I had used for nearly all my service up to then and they took it and submitted a warranty claim to Honda for the replacement. To be semi-fair to Honda, my extended warranty was within two weeks of its expiration date, but they ruled that a rear shock was a "wear item," rather than a "warranty item." To give praise to Sun Honda, they did the repair and only charged me cost for the shock, about $300. I decided that it was a good time to also overhaul the forks and they replaced the bushings and fork oil too.

Bike
2010 silver NT700
Wilbers USA makes one.....$599 includes tax and shipping. No remote preload but it has rebound adjustment.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Most factory shocks are welded closed at the top so cannot be disassembled easily for rebuilding, although some specialty shops may offer this service.

OP
OP
swinford57
Bike
2010 marroon NT700V
I had 96,398 miles when my rear shock blew. I was on a Motorcycle Sports Touring Association Ride to the SE side of Denver to visit a car museum and had just pulled on to I-25 with a buddy when the bike started feeling bouncy. I made it the 70 miles or so to the museum, but then after we rode just a few blocks to a lunch venue, it was considerably worse. And like Woodaddict says, there was a LOT of oil spewed over everything. I rode it to the Honda dealer I had used for nearly all my service up to then and they took it and submitted a warranty claim to Honda for the replacement. To be semi-fair to Honda, my extended warranty was within two weeks of its expiration date, but they ruled that a rear shock was a "wear item," rather than a "warranty item." To give praise to Sun Honda, they did the repair and only charged me cost for the shock, about $300. I decided that it was a good time to also overhaul the forks and they replaced the bushings and fork oil too.
After 9 years, I am not upset that it failed. Seals break down. I was upset that the part cost $907. I too was 800 miles away from home when mine gave out. Try riding the Blue Ridge Parkway on a two-wheeled trampoline. My riding freinds want me to push the eject button on the bike. But, the NT checks many boxes of what I'm looking for in a motorcycle. I'm looking forward to a possible new NT release.

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Walked through the carport earlier this week to see a puddle under my swingarm, so after a bit of searching I'm reviving an oldie.

I'll post photos later.

Top Bottom