Brake fluid change: A tale of mityvac breaking, speed bleeders, July heat ,etc ....

ett

So over the weekend, I realized it's been YEARS (4 on two, 8 on third ?) since I changed the brake/clutch fluids on my motorcycles.
And being on-call; I decided this was a good time to do it. ie not suppose to leave the house and nothing else to do.
What a fiasco !

Started with the Griso.
Doing the front and rear brake; no issues.
Clutch was a different story.

Guzzi clutch bleed screw is not attached to motor like most motorcycles.
Rather it's on the end of a couple foot long, braided, "brake" line.
Meaning it takes two hands to open and close that bleed screw.
Meaning it takes minimum of three hands to change the clutch fluid.
Two hands to operate the bleed screw and a third hand to operate the clutch lever.
BUT I can just barely get the job done using a Mityvac.
For starters; the Guzzi clutch fluid ALWAYS looks like crud.
No matter how much you bleed the fluid; it never comes out clean.
Second; I've never manage to get a good stream of fluid coming out. All I ever get is a small trickle.
I must have spent two hours and several refills of reservoir; and never noticed new, clean fluid coming out.
After this two hours. My 30+ year old Mityvac broke; it's pump handle snapped in half. Grrr...
After which I spent another two hours auto part store hopping to find a replacement. Keeping fingers crossed that I never get called by work.

First two stores I visited were Autozones. No employee at those stores ever heard of a Mityvac.
Third store, also an Autozone, had some chinese knock-off. But it's package was taped shut, like it was a return.
Finally at fourth store, Advance Auto, I found another chinese knock-off. A Performance Tool vacuum pump.
Not ideal. But I was desperate.
It's not great. But it got the Griso done. I think.
Took several rides up-n-down my driveway before it shifted properly.
I think I may have gotten some air in the clutch line that had to be worked out.
Keeping fingers crossed it works properly on a real ride.

Next up was the NT.
When I bought the NT; I wisely installed Speed Bleeders. A BIG THANK YOU to this thread, "Speed bleeder installation", for suggesting them and providing part #'s !!!
So changing the brake fluid on the NT was mostly easy.
ONCE you get past the Speed Bleeders flaw. The nipples on the Speed Bleeders are too short to keep a hose attached to them.
So after struggling for about 45 minutes. I said "Screw it !" and just did the job without a hose and let the brake fluid squirt all over the place.
I thought I did great.
UNTIL I pushed the NT out of the unventilated, 100 degree plus garage, hosed it down to wash off all the brake fluid, and then began to do the SV650.
That's when I realized I never put the cap back on the NT's rear brake reservoir.
Thinking I most likely got water in the rear reservoir. I had to bleed the rear caliper all over again !
I always do stupid things during July's heat. ;)

Last up was the SV650s
Uncovered it and filled up the low tires so I could roll it to center of garage. SV650s is my race bike, and I have not raced since 2015 !
Started doing the front brakes. Opened the bleed screw on the front caliper. No fluid came out when using the new Performance Tool vacuum pump.
"Great ! Brand new tool broke already !"
So then resorted to pumping the brake lever. STILL no fluid !
"Great ! Crub must be clogged in the bleed screw." So removed bleed screw. Still no fluid !
Then resorted to opening the banjo bolt. AND STILL NO FLUID !!!
But front brakes work. How is this possible ??

Getting late in day. My unventilated 100+ degree garage had me completely soaked in sweat. Not one inch of any of my clothing was dry.
So said "Screw it !" and put everything back. SV covered in corner, NT parked next to it, Griso parked next to NT, and then cleaned up all trash.
Went back into house and showered.
While showering; I realized I only did HALF of the rear brakes on the NT.
I never bleed the portion of the left front caliper that is operated by the rear brake pedal. Grrr...
Again; July heat ??

So back out to the garage and do the bleed the rear brakes of the NT; again.

So how was everyone else's Sunday ? :p

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
LOL.. yeah, another reason I try to just have one bike at a time... At least you know what to do now.. and some velcro or a thick rubber band helps hold a brake or clutch lever closed while you open/close a bleed screw.

Reactions: ett
Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Glad you got to have some fun Sunday.
Taking care of brakes is a good idea. My last one was my ATV that I rarely use. The fronts on it are drum brakes that I let go too long. That turned into a rebuild when the brakes would not release and tires skidded around.
Nice to have working brakes.

Arknt

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
If a bike has gone too long between brake fluid replacement, I always first drain the reservoir and clean all the crud off the reservoir floor, then refill with fresh fluid so I only have to worry about old fluid in the brake line and caliper. There's no reason to push all that old crud through the system!

I've never used speed bleeders and prefer the inexpensive Motion Pro tool that does the same thing. It is essentially a one-way way and like the speed bleeders, it makes the procedure a snap!

OP
OP
ett

ett

If a bike has gone too long between brake fluid replacement, I always first drain the reservoir and clean all the crud off the reservoir floor, then refill with fresh fluid so I only have to worry about old fluid in the brake line and caliper. There's no reason to push all that old crud through the system!
I do; and did; the same with all the reservoirs, on all three bikes.
But the Griso's clutch fluid never comes out through the bleed screw looking clean.
Never has; not even from day #1 of owning it. :(

That idiosyncrasy is one of many, as to why I bought my NT in 2015.
So many problems with the Griso. That when I found a great deal on the NT from a dealer I trust; I bought it.
I really expected the Moto Guzzi Griso to have blown up and died by now; but it hasn't. :p

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT

I've never used speed bleeders and prefer the inexpensive Motion Pro tool that does the same thing. It is essentially a one-way way and like the speed bleeders, it makes the procedure a snap!
I have nothing bad to say against any special pump/ tool. I love speed bleeders and put them on all my bikes. I too clean the reservoirs. Bleeding the old fashion way is for the birds..

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I rode a PC800 for many years. It was bought new and I put 102k miles on it, then sold it to a friend. It had a hydraulic clutch and it never ceased to amaze me that the same fluid in the clutch reservoir was always so much darker than in the brake reservoir. My only conclusion was that the clutch slave cylinder was picking up engine heat all the time and that made the fluid darken.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
My only conclusion was that the clutch slave cylinder was picking up engine heat all the time and that made the fluid darken.
Correct conclusion... (same on the ST1100...)

Eased the brake fluid replacement/flushing procedure with this item:

51ywx4v-i9L._AC_SL1024_.jpg

Brilliant kit, especially for high volume linked brakes with ABS modulators...

My GF's NT700VA probably never saw any real good service there, drew lots of cloudy "banana milk" looking crud out the ABS circuit when doing the first overhaul right after purchasing it for her...

Top Bottom