Brake light modulator

hubba730

Has anyone installed a brake light modulator to flash brake lights when applied. Saw one on Amazon for about 25-30 dollars. Flashes 6 times in 3 seconds and then remains on steady until brake is released. Repeats every time brake is applied. Thought it would be good for safety. Any comments?

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Rather than just flash the existing light you may want to consider adding Hyperlites. I have the 2X16 LED Brake Only set and they really let folks know I am on the brakes...plus more lighting is a good thing...:D

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
First I try to "up sell" him to Hyperlites and then you go adding a Givi trunk just so you can add Admore lights! That original $25 farkle is getting darn expensive fast...:doh1: :D

Bike
75 Honda CB360/Buell P3
Those skenedesign are pretty neat, but a lot more expensive than I would have expected. A set of hypers are just under $70 (beware of cheaper one which are not shock or vibration proof)

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA, #227
I installed a BackOFF Brake Light Modulater and wired it to wig-wag flash once when the brakes are applied and held. It can also be wired to flash as long as they are applied. Since it is hardwired, one must decide at the time of installation. I also have a headlight modulator in place at the other end. Visibility is key.

It sometimes helps to pray a lot too.

Bob

elizilla

It's my understanding that any sort of flashing brake light is illegal in most states. However, cops *love* my hyperlites. I have been complimented on them, by police officers, on a number of occasions.

Also, this past weekend I rode with a guy who had augmented his brakelight with an honest-to-god strobe light, which he ordered from a police catalog, and he reports having cops ask him about it, and tell him they liked it. And that is definitely an illegal light.

I think that, like earplugs, this falls in the category of "things which only get negative cop attention, when the cop is looking for an excuse to do what they've already decided to do to you." Cops don't have the law books memorized - they just do what they think makes sense. So you might as well make your decision based on safety, rather than on pleasing the police.

silverdevil

way back in the past I put my own brake light mod that would blink the 2 brake light bulbs back and forth like turn signals.
this was on a 83 Goldwing, when I went for my motorcycle license the DPS guy (highway patrolman) that was giving my test did not like that on the brake light and another officer walked by at that time and the officer inspecting my bike pointed this out to the other officer and ask him what he thought about it, the officer walking by said I like that, it is a good idea on a bike, this was not 2 different light fixtures but just one light fixture with 2 bulbs inside the light.
since then I have added hyper lights on all my bikes and I have NEVER been stopped or ask about my brake lights and I have ridden my bikes in all 49 states, I did not ride my bike in HI.
as you can see from my avatar I have a trike also and I have hyper lights on it also, it has been from Mexico to Alaska and Atlantic to Pacific and I have never been stopped for anything on it.
if the lights wig-wag that is illegal, that means that the left side light and the right side light alternate back and forth that is not good, the left and the right go on and off together that is different and what mine did.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

hubba730

Regarding the legality question. I believe that in most states any flashing, oscillating, or rotating light may be illegal. It is in Michigan unless you fall under some exceptions, such as a police car, ambulance, fire truck, highway worker, private vehicle plowing snow (orange only) ect.. I am a police officer here in MI and have seen bikes with flashing red tail lights, with modulators and with fast hyper-like L.E.D.'s. I thought that they were a good idea and would never have pulled them over and cited them. Bikes are hard to see and I think they should be included in the exceptions to the law. Of course any red flashing lights should only be visible to the rear of the vehicle and incorporated with the braking system and not visible to the front. I think if people go overboard with it then it will become a problem. Common sense is the key.

Bud

I added flashing brake lights to my V-Star 1100. They would quickly flash 3 times then stay on. I liked em very much. I feel they add to the safety of the ride. The lights cost $100.00 and the wiring harness cost $25.00. My .02 worth.

Bud

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Just in case there are any folks in the VA/MD/DC area I thought I'd provide some additional information on the "legality" of modulating brake lights in the Commonwealth of VA.

During the 2009 session, VA HB1906 was passed to clarify brake light modulation for motorcycles (the VA Admin Code already is quite explicit on brake light modulators on automobiles). The bill made the following addition to ? 46.2-1012. It reads:

Motorcycles may be equipped with a means of varying the brightness of the vehicle's brake light for
a duration of not more than five seconds upon application of the vehicle's brakes.

Top Bottom