Brake/TailLight Bulb

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I am still on my original brake taillight bulbs. I figure its only a matter of time before one burns out. I remember seeing posts that the NT uses a standard 1157 bulb. I checked the manual and it says to us a 21/5W bulb. I stopped at my local auto parts store to pick up an 1157 and noticed that it is 27/8.3W. I guess it will work but its not the correct spec. I checked my Dennis Kirk catalog and have a 21/5 bulb and they reference no.6215B. Anyone else aware of this difference and do you see any problem using the higher watt 1157 bulb ?

Check the fuse that feeds that circuit, Warren. And remember that you've got two bulbs. But 54W (two of the brake lights at the same time is still less than 5A and I'll bet that's a 10A circuit. It sure won't stress the wiring and might be a little bit brighter. I wouldn't worry about it. I've had 1157s in my NT for most of the 53,000 miles. The first bulbs burned out somewhere in the 3-5K mile range.

Sylvania makes some high intensity 1157 Bulbs. I have used them the past 5000 miles. Available at your friendly automotive store.

Worse case you are adding 1 Amp maximum for the pair. I would have zero concerns about running the 1157s.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I bought a two pack of the 1157 long life bulbs for the day when they are needed.

Back
Top Bottom