Broken Fairing Compartment Lock

Bike
'10 NT700, '02 BMW 1150GS
Today I noticed some debris in the keyhole of the left compartment lock. Upon further inspection, it was the remains of a tiny spring that had failed inside the mechanism. Now I can't even fit the key in to open the lock. Even if I got the key in there, something tells me it won't work without the spring (which I removed, for better or worse.).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Possibly ride it to a local locksmith? I've found them to be resourceful in these situations. Then once it's open, remove the lid from the hinges (it just pulls backwards) take it home in the saddlebag and order parts.

OP
OP
Tantalus
Bike
'10 NT700, '02 BMW 1150GS
Success. I tried a combination of pushing the key in as far as it would go (halfway) and applying pressure, while at the same time flexing the lid. Something gave way and it opened. The lock's innards continued to come apart.

The replacement is cheap, although I guess it won't be keyed to my bike. Maybe all NT/ST keys open them? Anyway, thanks.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
A local locksmith rekeyed mine for me after an incident. Good luck with finding the right one.

Top Bottom