Budget or Luxary garage? Where can I skimp on tools, and when do I need quality?

Bike
2010 NT700V
This thread can go two ways. One could make a list of the best of the best equipment, or the bare nessities list to strip a bike down bare.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
If you are going to do your own spannering it is always wise to have good tools.

Thankfully these days the prices for quality tools have dropped so you can almost get a luxury garage at a budget price

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
For the "home mechanic" some things can be of a lesser grade or even bought 2nd hand since you're not working on bikes everyday for a living. As an example, I have a set of Harbor Freight (India-made) combination wrenches that I carry in my NT and have never had to use them on the road. Even if I used them on every trip, it would be nothing as far as them becoming worn because of overuse.

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
In the U.S., it is hard to beat the quality of Sears Craftsman hand tools. They always have sales going. And if you break one, you simply take it back to the store. In fact, many Sears stores will let you exchange damaged tools from the basic Sears line. I pretty much go with Craftsman tools unless I need something that they do not make. Weller soldering irons come to mind.

But DF is right. If you are not a pro or advanced amateur, as long as you are not buying junque, tool quality is not that important. "Good enough" generally is good enough. There are some exceptions. For example, do not scrimp on screwdriver quality. Cheap screwdrivers as they wear will damage screw heads. Then you will need to replace both the tools and the damaged screws. Another exception is the ratcheting offset bit driver. The best is Chapman. Everything else ranges from not bad to junk.

Bike
2011 NT700v
Want the best tools cheap? Check your local pawn shops. Full auto mechanic sets in pro tool boxes show up all the time for pennies on the dollar.

fltsfshr

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I have been buying Craftsman for 40+ years and they are more than "good enough" for most of what I need although I do have some "top end" job specific tools. I have noticed a decline in Craftsman's quality, particularly in finish, in the last few years but they still beat most of the other brands... If you buy tools at Sears be aware that if you buy their "Evolv" tool line you must have Proof of Purchase to make a warranty claim. They do not have the same lifetime, satisfaction guaranteed Warranty as "Craftsman" tools.

I read recently Sears Holdings, Sears and K-Marts parent corporation, is considering "spinning off" Craftsman to raise money to keep the company afloat. I hope they do as Craftsman is the only reason I go to Sears as their Customer Service around here is a major disservice! I'd hate so see Craftsman go away due to cheap, shoddy, understaffed stores that are going to fold sooner or later anyway...

Want the best tools cheap? Check your local pawn shops. Full auto mechanic sets in pro tool boxes show up all the time for pennies on the dollar.
Don't forget garage and estate sales as well....

Last edited:
Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Wayne, I didn't know about PoP being needed to exchange Evolv tools. Thanks.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I have just about everything in quality. From Harbor Freight to Klein.

For everyday work the HF stuff works fine. The tools I use the most are a set of "Allied" combination wrenches I got at Sam's or Costco over 15 years ago. The next most used are a set of "Crescent" tools that I got at Costco about 8 years ago. These two sets, although made in china, are adequate for all the jobs Ihave put them through, including a tear down and build of my Guzzi. '

The Crescent set usually is in my truck as it has a nice case. The Allied set is on a pegboard in the shop (which is why it is so handy).

I carry a set of craftsman OE, box and socket sets on the bike. They don't get used a lot, but, they fit the space. Those three sets were my first Xmas gift (in 1973) from the guy who ended up being my father-in-law. The 12mm and 9/16 sockets have been broken and replaced several times over the years.

If I were buying one set to work with right now I'd get either a Kobalt (Lowes), Crafstman, or one of the sets from Costco/Sam's. (Kobalt also has a lifetime guarantee and are some nice tools).

Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
I've got a mixed set. Craftsman/Snap-On, with some Kobalt and other cheapo ones thrown in. I have noticed the quality drop in Craftsman over the last 20 years. Sad, really. The good stuff stays in the shop, and the Kobalt and the no name stuff is what goes on trips. I would be upset if they got lost or stolen, but not as upset I would if a set of Snap-On's went missing.

For stuff other than hand tools, I stick with the good stuff. No Mar tire changer, Snap On compression tester, tap and die set, torque wrenches, etc. This stuff never leaves the shop, either.

Spouse used to buy me jewelry and useless things like that for birthdays and such. Told him to stop wasting his money. I'm not a Christmas tree that needs to be decorated. Buy me something I can use. This is Valentines Day 2013:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=&item_ID=651298&group_ID=682939&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Most of my tools are Craftsman (The old stuff), Snap-On, and Park Tools for my bicycle work. I also like Kobalt--which I have for the NT in a nice canvas tool roll. My tools don't leave my shop.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Buy the quality you need. I know it is hard to judge the quality from appearance or brand. I sometimes try the stress test. Take one of the wrenches and try to break it. If I can break it by hand I take the whole set back. Put a screw driver in the vice and twist hard. Usually the handle will break or the blade will twist on the poor ones. Never admit how you broke it. I bought a cheap set of 100 bits and broke a bit each of the first 3 times I tried to use it. I threw the 97 remaining ones in the trash.

I believe that a #2 phillips screw driver should be the best quality you can buy. You'll use it a lot. Same thing for pry bars - they are made to use force.

It is a fine call between buying high quality or spending the extra bucks on specialty wrenches like flex handle gear wrenches. I love using those things. My tools are a collection of Mac, SnapOn, Proto, Wright, Craftsman, Northern Tool, Gear Wrench, Park, Klein, and a bunch of "no names" I can't remember. The bad ones weed themselves out over time leaving the good ones to survive.

My son worked in a shop that was visited frequently by the Mac and Snap On sales trucks. Some young employees there would buy the $2000 to $5000 sets and later find out they couldn't make the payments and had to sell. That is a good place to pick up bargains. They ended up selling the tools for half or a third of their original price.

Husker

Bike
Red 2010 NT700V
I have always used craftsman,New Brittany from Napa which also has a guarantee. Any tool you will use often needs to be of good quality.you can always add to them as you need.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
One thing I do prefer - exclusive of brand - are 6 point sockets over 12 point sockets. I've worn out a couple of 12 pt sockets in the most popular sizes over the year and have replaced them with an entire new set of 6 pt. If you're starting out, just save money and busted knuckled by opting for 6 pt initially.

tawilke46

I have mostly Craftsman tools. Some I inherited from my dad, so they are the good stuff made in the USA.
Also have a mix of tools from my pa-in-law when he passed. He was a sheet metal worker in his hey day.
All my good tools I had for years were stolen from under my carport 8 years ago. It is an expensive proposition to start from scratch building a complete tool set.
But I also have some Kobalt, Husky, and other brands in the tool boxes.
My favorite screwdriver set is Ridgid, bought it 15 years ago......this set was in my house when my tools were taken from the carport.

Top Bottom