C10 vs early C14 vs late C14

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Ok, so am thinking about my next bike. I struggled hard with the idea of getting a Norge but am rethinking that.

Am looking over bikes and the Connies look better and better, but, which version?

C10's all had carbs, correct? And ABS or not?

C14 at 2010 and beyond have traction control and some other bells and whistles, but, is that the only difference.

I am sure the C10 has more power than I want and it has 6 speeds :D :D :D

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
As a 11 year 2003 Connie C10 Owner, I can tell you I love my bike, but the technology is now old...no ABS, and it has Carbs.
The two bikes are so different they don't really deserve the same name. I personally would never buy a C14. It is a "Too" bike for me. Too heavy, fast, expensive,complex, expensive to insure, etc and the styling is not to my liking.
The C10 is certainly powerful but I never really felt it was overwhelming....
If someone told me they wanted to buy a used C10 and put 10K bucks into it to make it like new, I wouldn't laugh at them.

I am keeping mine but If I wanted another "big bike" right now I would be looking real hard at the FJR.

Ok, so am thinking about my next bike. I struggled hard with the idea of getting a Norge but am rethinking that.

Am looking over bikes and the Connies look better and better, but, which version?

C10's all had carbs, correct? And ABS or not?

C14 at 2010 and beyond have traction control and some other bells and whistles, but, is that the only difference.

I am sure the C10 has more power than I want and it has 6 speeds :D :D :D

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Charlie, I put 165,000 miles on two 1999 C-10 Connies. I'd done some farkeling on number-one that got duplicated on number-two. Audiovox cruise control, Russell DayLong saddle, tip-over bars, and others. Nearly all my mods came from Murphskits; a great resource for Concours owners.

I agree with Chis's assessment of the 2008-forward C-14s. I rode one and it was awesome, but it was way more bike than I needed in so many ways. Power, weight, speed. I've got several friends who own C-14s, one a 2009, and three with 2012s and 13s. They like them. When we ride together, even with their bigger tanks, they usually need gas before I do.

If I were buying anything right now, I'd look for another NT. If I couldn't find one, I'd probably look for a current generation FJR, too.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Moto Guzzis are good bikes but is there a dealer within a reasonable distance of where you live?

OP
OP
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Thanks. Kinda what I thought about the Connies. I won't get another bike without ABS and am not thrilled with the extras on the C14.

I may have to look at FJR's too.

Guzzi's are great bikes, but, you have to be willing to do ALL the work yourself. I do on my current one. I am really tempted by the later Norge's but, a lot of little things have made me realize that I probably won't get one. I also like bigger fairings so have ruled out all of the adv bikes.

I'd love a Beemer but the electrical system they have in them is a nightmare and durability is lacking unless I go back to airhead days.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I had 2000 C-10, I got it with 1800 miles on it and sold it with around 40,000, my complaints about it were mine NEEDED the valves done every 6K maybe just mine but I suspected soft cams! others had better luck. the other thing most times when you manage to drop it you will break the foot peg mount assy whick was a spendy item to purchasr, if you get a C-10 immediately go to the hardware store and purchase a longer metric bolt to put in as a temp fixand carry a couple of them with you!. If I were going to go to a older vintage sport tourer I would look for 94 or later ST1100, good fuel milage, very good size fuel tank,If you should want AUX fuel the complete tank and installation kit is available from Sampson, bullet proof engine that you can run at 100 MPH and more all day long!, also the last few years I think they were available with ABS and maybe traction control. THe last two items are off the top of my head so maybe senior moments are at work!!, BUT I do admire those much more than the C-10.

Eldon

OP
OP
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Thanks Eldon. The ST1100 was on my radar as well, if I could find a clean one.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Charlie, after I left Harrison Hot Springs this morning, I was riding west toward the exit for the Sumas border crossing and I saw a small sign on a building that backed up to the freeway that said, "We have Moto Guzzis in stock." I thought of you!

It would have been on Industrial Way, north side of the freeway, west side of Chilliwick, BC.

OP
OP
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Thanks for that Phil. Guzzi dealers are few and far between. And almost all of them have a "new" Guzzi in stock. Frequently it is several years old. I just saw an ad for a "NEW" 2008 Norge at a dealer in the east.

New policies with Piaggio has meant that some dealers are not 'required' to stock every model, so that kind of problem will be less in the future. May mean that we will get some more Guzzi dealers. But, I won't hold my breath :)

Moto Guzzi, making mechanics out of riders for over 90 years. :D

Bike
That is a great sounding ST that Tim put on forum, BUT it is a 91, not bad and you can do the post 94 charging system upgrade to the earlier ones.

If you keep patient you will find a later one with similar miles and condition, you just have to be ready to leap when it shows up!If the one in Phoenix were a late model I would be on top of it although it might make for a unhappy home for awhile!! lol

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Like many of us, I'm a former C10 owner. I loved my Conk, bought every farkle Murf offered, did the valves every 6k, and changed oil every 2k. The bike ran like a watch. BUT, every year it got a bit heavier so when it finally got too heavy, I moved (as did many of us) to an NT 700. My "Dullsville" will not accelerate on an Interstate on ramp as did the Conk, nor pass a tandem trailer 18 Wheeler at speed, but in every other respect, like long trips on the open road, or challenging twisties, NT 700 is at least an equal. And, at low speed or when pushing it around in my basement, the NT 700 gets top marks.

Kind regards

Hugh

Bike
Hugh,

I agree with your thoughts about the c-10 I didn't farl;e mine with everything, I did add Heli bars and a Rocky, Bill Mayer saddle, and had Bill MacAvan build a custom 3 gallon Aux tank , and set up a pair of driving lights. the inherent weakness of the foot peg mount brakets was a source of aggravation as was the 6,000 mile valve requirement. I was planning on a 12=15,ooo mile trip and didn't want to have to deal with valves and got a chance to sel it for a reasonable price. From there I went to a 04 GL1800A among others including a Ultra Classic. I trust my NT and only detest the PIA saddlebag lid locking system which I have modified . I sure agree that it will do everything except come on super strong when passing etc. I will admit that I am currently thinking and shopping around for a ST, either a ST11' or possibly a st13, not as a replacement , but as a additional stablemate.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Funny thing about the C-10 footpegs and footpeg brackets. I broke three of them and had a local welder repair them. Never broke another one in about 150,000 more miles. As to the valve adjustments, a lot of us extended that interval to 10,000 miles. I noticed that after 50,000 miles, I rarely made an adjustment to mine.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Hugh,

I agree with your thoughts about the c-10 I didn't farl;e mine with everything, I did add Heli bars and a Rocky, Bill Mayer saddle, and had Bill MacAvan build a custom 3 gallon Aux tank , and set up a pair of driving lights. the inherent weakness of the foot peg mount brakets was a source of aggravation as was the 6,000 mile valve requirement. I was planning on a 12=15,ooo mile trip and didn't want to have to deal with valves and got a chance to sel it for a reasonable price. From there I went to a 04 GL1800A among others including a Ultra Classic. I trust my NT and only detest the PIA saddlebag lid locking system which I have modified . I sure agree that it will do everything except come on super strong when passing etc. I will admit that I am currently thinking and shopping around for a ST, either a ST11' or possibly a st13, not as a replacement , but as a additional stablemate.
I got a slightly used 2003 ST1300 that might be coming up for sale in the Spring. It only has 127,000 miles on it. Just now getting broke in. :wink:

It is great to have both, the ST and the NT but there is almost too much over lap. I have only been riding my ST1300 on long multi state, freeway riding, and my NT, more local / in town type riding. I use my Wee for mountain twisties and county dirt roads. The DR650 is for more challenging dirt rides.

I really do need to thin the Herd.

Last edited:
Bike
Chuck,

LOL check for a PM. I sent the PM and then I saw this note!

Eldon

Top Bottom