California Scientific Windshields

tawilke46

Does anyone have any experience with windshields from California Scientific?
According to them the "flip" at the top creates more turbulent air as it supposedly creates a larger volume of negative pressure air.
Have been debating between the California Scientific shield vs the Cee Bailey.
Have not made up my mind yet.

Link to California Scientific
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/NT700prod.html

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

After reading other posts on windshields, I think I already have my answer.
I installed a National Cycle VStream (can't remember what size I ordered), and I agree it does flex a lot above about 65mph. And it makes sense that the stock mounting is designed for a certain wind forces by Honda. The design may be overpowered pushing large surface area shields through the air.
The VStream is still on my bike BUT still have the stock shield in the box if a swap becomes necessary.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Since I think I am the only one who used both for a few thousand miles, here goes:

CalSci was +5.5", Cee Bailey is +6" with flip

There is a difference in shape otherwise as well. The CS is 'straight', ie, it is not a compound curve like the stock shield or the CB. What does that mean? The top lip is further away from your nose at the same shield positions.

Width of the CS narrows as it goes up. Not a bad thing, but, it does mean that in crosswinds more air will hit your shoulders and helmet. CB is same width all the way up. But, it has no provisions to protect the hands. The CS will not fit with the Honda hand deflectors while the CB will.

CS also advise that theirs is designed to be used in the bottom two positions. This is important. If you raise it higher, then that neat vent they put in there stops working for you and works against you. Above the 2nd position it also means the 'wings' no longer protect your hands. I liked mine in the 3rd position so I covered over the vent and it worked much better. I lost the hand protection. If you size it for the bottom two positions then you will not have that problem. It does mean your shield will be about 3-5" higher to get the same protection.

The CS compound curve also has a drawback. Even though the screen is closer to you, the same size screen does not come up as high as the CS. The 6" CB is 1-2" lower than the CS. The flip seems to make up that difference, ie, in the middle screen position both shields direct the airflow so it just cleared to top of my helmet.

As for flexing. Both flex a LOT when at speed and in turbulence (around trucks). They will 'flop' about 3-4". It is kinda scary at first, but, mine showed no signs of distress dafter several thousand miles, most of it at speeds above 70mph with several short runs over 100mph. I have had one or the other on my bike for over 10,000miles now and the shield mechanism has not shown any signs of wear or weakening. Neither have the shields around the mounting bolts. So, I think the stock system is over designed and can handle the load quite easily.

To answer the specific question, no, I do not think the 'flip' causes more turbulence. Even when I had the shields in lower positions the turbulence behind the shield was about the same.

I do like the CB better and part of that is because I think it looks better with the compound curves. 90% of my riding is with the shield at the middle position (screen is about level with my mouth, airflow just skims the top of my helmet. When on the highway at 85 I will put it up to the 4th position. That puts the edge just below my line of vision. Airflow goes above my helmet.

Last, these things do have more drag. They do decrease mileage slightly, mainly noticeable at higher speeds (75-90). They also affect acceleration at higher speeds when the shields are in the upper positions.

So, I like the CB better than the similar sized CS. Your experience may differ :)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Didn't someone say that the CS screen didn't fit with the wind deflector/knuckle busters on?

I've got a Cee Bailey + 4" and it works very well. I have never noticed the degree of flexing that Charlie talks about and I frequently am at speeds of 80+mph in strong winds and around lots of trucks on the Interstate.

My 2nd one (first one got broken when sidestand sank into soft asphalt and the bike fell over into a vehicle in the local hospital parking lot) has one slight anomoly. It's apparently thinner than the specified .187" inches at the top left mounting hole. The shoulder bolt Honda uses to guarantee a snug (but not overly-tight) mount bottomed out before clamping the screen snugly. After a couple thousand miles, I notice that the screen was slipping just a bit in that location. So I tried Katherine's suggestion of shimming it with a piece of rubber glove material. One thickness didn't quite get it, but two did and not it fits fine. I probably could have gotten Cee Bailey to take care of it, but it didn't seem worth the trouble.

Top Bottom