Cam Chain Tensioner

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Good for them! And good for you, too. I hope that's the last trouble you have for many, many miles!

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Well, my NT is a 2010 with 28k miles on the clock. Not too noisy... until 2-1/2 weeks into my son riding it around and to work. Now this (audio file extension not allowed?!) it clatters all the time, no wavering with revs. Seems like rear cylinder cam chain slap. Same as my old KIA when it failed. Gonna pull valve cover, change oil and filter and maybe tensioner. Hope not directly valve related. She deserves better. But you'd think that the engine revving 5k rpms at 70mph would never have that specific problem. Sounds like an engineering flaw.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Miles2, it sounds like you are on top of it but if you suspect a tensioner issue don't delay.
Long, long ago I let a Honda 350 twin go too long and the cam chain broke. When it broke it got more complicated (and of course more $$).

Arknt

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Thanks, she's not being run at this time. Ran only enough to try and locate source of sound. Tried to upload a wave file of the clatter but no luck (another thread). Is only time and money. I have another bike, but it's sad my son and I can't ride together right now.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
All, This is an update on the clatter from my 2010. Finally had a free weekend in October to open her up and poke around. Started with the rear cylinder and valve cover. Found nothing out of whack, valve train, chain and tensioner all good and all lashes within spec. Later I moved on to the front cylinder, removed the valve cover and WHAM... found a scary scene. Short version is the far right side intake valve's jam nut had somehow backed-off the rocker arm adjuster stem's base and was "captured / caught" between the valve towers, just tight enough to not get jarred into anything below and the adjuster turned enough to have quite the open lash space to the top of the valve. This has been the scary hammering sound. Glad I never ran it after I heard all the commotion.
I've not taken the valve covers off to check the lash because the engine's always been fairly quiet and has too few miles. So, what could have happened? 1. It was an oversight at the factory during assembly (never have I ever)? 2. The dealer's servicing (before I bought it used) of the vehicle... possibly the tech. moving too quickly to make the time deadline? Don't know, but other than waiting 6 mos. to really have time to do any work on it myself, no harm - no foul. Very happy it was an obvious fix and no apparent damage, she's quiet again and back to her happy self. Lucky, lucky, lucky!
I had to apologize to my son, not so much for him not noticing the racket (he'll learn to listen to an engine), but for me getting angry and blaming him for any of it. I've just never experienced this on a (any) bike before. Have a few pics attached of what I found after opening her up.

2023-10-15 NT700 Valve Train Fix 005.jpg2023-10-15 NT700 Valve Train Fix 009.jpg2023-10-15 NT700 Valve Train Fix 008.jpg

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
You did good to park it before damage was done. ++
I see you are in Florida so you can ride and enjoy it this winter.

Arknt

Top Bottom