[Review] Car System VOS151.071 Restorer

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Here is my $.02 on this product. (there will be no pics)
I finally got up the gumption to remove my tupperware in order to avoid a lot of masking while trying this clear. While I am disappointed overall with the product, I was able to get access to my hi beam and turn signals, which were the original bulbs from day one. (June 2012) I am also not afraid of the tupperware anymore, just no big fan of the process.

My uneducated opinions on what worked and what did not:

Any piece of trim that is exposed to constant heat from the engine is not going to respond well to an attempt at restoration, e.g. the side cowls and the parts directly below the seat
Any piece that endures unfiltered, direct sunlight for long periods will be the same..(Cubby lids)
Any piece that endures the nonstop general onslaught of wind and rain and road dust and sun and bugs. In other words, the pointy end of the bike. (headlight cowl), No dice. Some improvement but disappointing results

The only two areas that responded well were the glossy bits around the lid covers and the dash surround. They look "Day One" new
The rear looks somewhat better too, but not 'day one' better.

IMHO the only true restoration can come from re-applying color to the parts and then protecting them as best as one can.

I was shocked to learn that while the headlight cowl can be bought for about $30, the side cowls are $160- $180 apiece?!?!?
?REALLY?

Anyway, she's back together with new high beam, turn signals, fresh coat of clear on the black trim, grease and dirt cleaned off the engine, New rear hub rubbers and brand spanking new RoadSmart IIIs

Next week I'm off to the Texas Hill Country with my two brothers to dance with The Three Sisters once again!

Review on the Dunlops when I return.

Clay

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
The sun can take a toll on unpainted plastics. Esp down south where the rays are more direct. I believe the sun drives the oils out of the plastics and changes them forever. Protecting the plastic may work but once the plastic gets too bad I'm not sure if it is restorable. I replaced some inexpensive pieces on mine. I even had to replace the cable ties on the handlebars. They had become gray, brittle and broken.
The sun is a powerful thing.

Brad

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I found out a long time ago that some plastics do not respond to these restorations fluids currently on the market.

I painted many of the black plastic pieces with Rustoleum Semi-Gloss Black and never looked back.

I tried replacing all the inexpensive pieces only to have them to start to fade after a couple of months. I removed those pieces and painted them all and everything is good again.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
I found out a long time ago that some plastics do not respond to these restorations fluids currently on the market.

I painted many of the black plastic pieces with Rustoleum Semi-Gloss Black and never looked back.

I tried replacing all the inexpensive pieces only to have them to start to fade after a couple of months. I removed those pieces and painted them all and everything is good again.
Thanks for the tip!
How did you prep them?

Top Bottom