Carnelian Red Colour Code?

rfoshaug

While waiting for spring and my Carnelian Red NT to arrive, I've been thinking about adding the French-produced "sabot" undercowl.

As this comes unpainted, I'll have to either spray paint it myself, or get a paint shop to do it.

But I'm having trouble getting the colour code for the 2012 Carnelian Red... is it Metallic? The dealer said he wasn't able to find the colour code, but that it was a "two-layer" type of paint.

This got me thinking that maybe it will be difficult to apply myself, and not just a simple task of spray painting the undercowl.

Anyone have any experience with this and know if the Carnelian Red is a type of paint that a normal "not-very-good-at-spray-painting-stuff" person like me could do or will I have to have it professionally painted somewhere?

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
The Carnelian Red is not offered in the US NT market. Here is a link to that color for a Honda car but I can't guarantee they will be the exact same shade...

Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
Not sure how far under your under cowl is but if it is pretty low you may want to undercoat or "chip guard" the cowl before painting. This is a textured rubberized coating that you spray on before painting. It is available at any automotive store. It not only provides chip protection because you have a rubber layer under the paint, but its texture will hide small inperfections in your rattle can paint job. They work very well together. On my 2010 NT the color code and number is on a sticker located under the seat so matchup should not be a problem when you get your bike and have the EXACT color code.
Good Luck.

OP
OP

rfoshaug

Thanks for your answers. Colorrite only had the Gold Wing to choose from once I got into the Honda section. I guess I'll have to look at the colour code on the bike itself and contact my local automotive-paint-blending-shop (I'm sure there's a shorter English word for that!) and get it there. I've done that for my metallic red car and it worked great with the correct colour code.

Adding some kind of undercoat might be a very good idea. :) There is of course no haste in mounting the undercowl, as the bike is very well designed to run without one, but I figured it will give a little bit of extra protection of engine parts, from debris as well as water on hot exhaust parts, give me a little extra weather protection around the feet, as well as look good. I've always felt the NT look a little "bare" just behind the front wheel.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Which undercowl are you using? The one on the Travel Edition of the Deauville? Nobody here has been able to find a source for it, although a couple of us have the Skidmarx undercowl. I've got the factory OEM undercowl, which doesn't look as sleek, but works very well.

OP
OP

rfoshaug

Thanks so much Kathy!! :yr1:

That link at RS Motorbike Paint was very good, as it tells me that I need a basepaint, main pant, and gloss to get it right, and it provides the correct ones. :)

Phil, yes, it's the same as on the Travel Edition, made by a small French company:
http://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_moto/178205075.htm

I've received the undercowl, and it looks great! But it's white and will need to be painted before I can put it on my bike. Oh, and I'll need to actually get my bike as well. ;)

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
When you paint it I suggest you start off with at least a couple base coats of really good fiberglass primer paint. Most new OEM type paints are made for using on metal, or plastic, and fiberglass is a different material with its own set of primer issues. My Skid Marx has three coats of primer, with wet sanding between coats, two "main" color coats, and two clear "gloss" coats, and it finished up as good looking as the OEM paint.

Top Bottom