CBR250R to the Arctic Circle

This has been a particularly bad year for rain in AK and Western Canada. I've followed a couple of ride reports over on the ADV forum. A couple of women on Triumphs rode for something like 40 of 44 days in rain. That's not my idea of fun.

When I was riding solo to Hyder, last year, I had an incident that could have been serious if some help hadn't come along at the right moment. When you're out there a ways, you can get yer azz in a sling in a hurry. You made a wise move, Craig. You can always go back another time.

I don't recall whether it was here or on one of my other forums, where I was talking about how the most important thing you can take motorcycle touring, is a good attitude. That attitude encompasses both an ability to weather setbacks, and a willingness to just bag it if that's what you need to do, and either way, don't beat yourself up or get all stressed about it. It's an adventure either way. If it crosses over the line into abject misery, or if you get your fool self killed over an ego goal, u r doin it wrng. :) Leave home, and get back home with some grist for the story mill, and remember it's all grist for the story mill.

One advantage Rick has, if he decides to make the trek to the far north, is that he's got all the time in the world to do it. He can sit in that dorm for as long as he needs to.

And this guy just rode the bike. Didn't spend the world on extras or spend years in the garage modding. Just rode the bike and had an "Adventure" how cool is that.

It reminds of my youth when I would strap a sleeping bag and pack on the seat of my CB350 and head out to parts unknown. There is a lot of freedom in heading in a general direction without much of a plan.

That's going to be my approach year after next for the Alaska and Canadian parts of my Epic Post-Retirement Ride. I will have a loose schedule of 21 days to complete the Four Corners Ride, but I think that'll give me plenty of time for that part of the trip. I figure four-five days down the West Coast, two to Jacksonville (I'm gonna' do a CC-50 ride on that leg), then 3 more before I'm back out of Florida, and then take my time up the East Coast, re-visiting some places I've been before and visiting some I've never been. Then another couple of weeks in Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, and Labrador, and finaly home.

After that, I may be so broke that I'll have to go back to work!

Back
Top Bottom