Changing headlight bulbs...

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
If we rode northeast of where we always camped, we'd encountered what I presumed were underground missile silos. Chain link topped with barbed wire surrounded the silo area and plenty of warning signs with letters ALL CAPS and in RED! Inside the fenced area was concrete with substantial steel trap doors in the center. There were no warning signs about it being Edwards AFB but I'm sure it was.
Heading northeast from that location would put in close proximity of Edwards. 140th St ends at Avenue B and then parallels the south end of the base. Edwards used to known as Muroc Air Base on the edges of Rogers Dry Lake bed. Edwards AFB History

I heard stories growing up out there of people encountering things such as that and finding in exploded 500 lbs stuck nose first in the ground.

The one friend that had a dirt bike when we were in our early teens. We hardly made it north of Avenue J, however, we’d head more east going past 240th St East. I lived close to 176th St East and N-12 and my middle school buddy lived close to 152nd St East and Avenue N, both of us in Lake Los Angeles.

My buddy that lives off of Avenue J and 200th St East is an Engineer that I worked with 25 years ago for nearly 5 years. He was really cool with me when I started out on my career. He also lived in Lake Los Angeles. Matter of fact a few blocks up the street from my other middle school buddy. At the time his 5-year daughter had a huge crush on me.

The First time I visited him at his new place in Hi Vista. His daughter was there out back in the garden. He told me to go back there and say hi. I went out back and called out to her. She turned around and immediately knew who I was a gave me a big hug. Her mother had to embarrass her and bring up the story when she found out I got married. Her mother told me that she was so heartbroken and cried for a week.

Top Bottom