Charging Lithium-iron

Bike
Black Deauville NT700
Is there an electronic wizard able to explain why, if a lithium-iron battery is able to cope with being charged by a motorcycle’s electrical system, it requires a special mains charger?

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
Correct me if I am wrong but AFAIK, the main problem is a mains charger with a "recondition" function which "pulse" charges at 16 volts.
This is too high for a lithium battery and will cause overheating and possible fire.
Most bike lithium batteries have an inbuilt Voltage (or charge) Regulator to drop the bikes output down from 14+ volts to 13.2 or something like that which is ideal for lithium batteries.
To the best of my knowledge, a standard (non multi-stage) old fashioned battery charger should be fine if the lithium battery has an inbuilt regulator.
I believe that even the inbuilt regulators in the lithium batteries cannot handle the "recondition" function.
Macka

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I also believe it is the smart chargers that are the problem. Not an old school charger.
Most people these days use the smart chargers.

Brad

OP
OP
Nick Wilkinson
Bike
Black Deauville NT700
Ah! Thank you Macka and ARKNT. That makes perfect sense. Thank you both for taking the time to reply. I am alright, as I bought my battery charger in 1972.

Bike
2010 NT700V
They make lithium ion powersports batteries specifically for using in motorcycles, so I would hope they can survive a bikes's charging system, otherwise they'd be useless.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
I have a Litium Battery on my bike and there's no problem with the bike's charging system. Don't use a modern smart charger as the "Sulphate mode" will destroy the battery. Just use a real old fashioned charger or one where you can turn off the "Smart charging".

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Top Bottom