Check engine light X8 failure

Bike
2010 NT700V
Hello and good morning,

Been a while since I posted, wish I could say it was because I've been riding the NT over mountains and through valleys, but I encountered the dreaded failure that it appears many of you have seen.

Yes, I have read the forums and numerous posts about this, and they are extremely informative, however I'm curious about what parts you guys have used to fix the issue.

So, back in March, I was riding home from a 2 hour or so ride, when I got near my suburb, I looked down and saw the check engine light was on. I didn't notice anything till a few more minutes when I was going approximately 55 mph and the engine began sputtering, I had to "baby" it home. I let it sit for a few hours, restarted it and that's when i saw the 8 flashes of the check engine light.

I tried a can of sea foam, changed out the air filter with a K & N, and still sputtering.
I bought a new regulator / rectifier because I saw Phil's post about that, and it was cheap. It did not fix the issue either.

So now my next step is to try replacing the TPS, so here's my big question. Has anyone had any luck with the 2005 Accord TPS's? I've seen mixed reviews on how they fit so far. I've also found the Yamaha part 1SL-85885-00 but its about $60 more expensive and, well I'm just a meager state employee trying to feed three kids haha.

I'll take any advice at all, not opposed to changing the plugs and caps, but I talked to the service guy at the Dealer where I bought my bike, back when I bought it, (he was a huge fan of NT's), and he stated they checked those, so I'd rather not waste the money/labor just yet.

Thank you in advance, this a great forum as always, awesome info and great people. Hope you are all doing well with whats going on in the world.

Kyle

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Before you go to the time and expense of a TPS replacement, several on the forum have found that corrosion has occurred on the connectors and when they were cleaned, the problem was corrected. Try this first.

OP
OP
KyleZ982
Bike
2010 NT700V
Before you go to the time and expense of a TPS replacement, several on the forum have found that corrosion has occurred on the connectors and when they were cleaned, the problem was corrected. Try this first.
I saw that too, thank you for mentioning that because I had already forgot to right that down. I will definitely try that first

Bike
2010 NT700V
I had this issue within the first week of buying it at 8K miles. My first post here was about this. https://www.nt-owners.org/forums/threads/throttle-position-sensor-tps-part-number.10192/post-165851
I pulled apart the connects and added a conductive grease to the pins. I wouldn't advise others trying this unless you're careful, but definitely pick up some Deoxit D5. Pull connectors apart, give a couple sprays onto the pins. Let dry and put back together. My NT is now at around 45K with no further issues since the initial cleaning.

The TP sensor is on the right side of the throttle body. Up behind the coolant expansion tank. The sub harness to main harness connector is clipped to the inside of the left main frame rail. To the left of the airbox.

ECU (I doubt the corrosion issue was here) is behind the mid left side plastic piece under the seat.

I put this together, hopefully should get you in the right direction:
TP.PNG

OP
OP
KyleZ982
Bike
2010 NT700V
Just want to provide an update;

I was able to get to the TPS connector, pull it apart and clean them a bit ( I have fat fingers). Put it all back together, and it has run flawlessly for almost 350 miles.

Fingerd crossed this did it. Thank you all for the info.

Kyle

Bike
2010 NT700V
I would highly recommend taking apart and cleaning the throttle body subharness to main harness connector as well.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
And don't forget the battery terminals and cable ends - clean and apply dielectric grease! It all starts at the battery.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
clean and apply dielectric grease!
Dirtflier, what brand of grease do you use? I see deoxit D5 recommended above. I have some anti corrosion grease in a tube but it is really meant for large wire and pretty slow and tedious to apply inside smallish connectors.

Brad

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I honestly don't know which brand of dielectric grease I have. The main thing is to use it + electrical contact spray whenever you have clear access to connectors....even if there is not an elec problem.

For example: whenever I have the plastic off and tank lifted for a valve clearance check, I clean/grease all the connectors that live under and around the aircleaner box - including the one to the throttle bodies.. It only takes a few extra minutes but can save lots of woes and $$$$ downstream.

Bike
2010 NT700V
Dirtflier, what brand of grease do you use? I see deoxit D5 recommended above. I have some anti corrosion grease in a tube but it is really meant for large wire and pretty slow and tedious to apply inside smallish connectors.

Brad
Just for clarification (I can't tell based on your post structure). Deoxit isn't a grease, it's a contact cleaner.

Top Bottom