Check Engine Light

CheeseyRider

I've searched here and on google and can't find any information on the procedure for reading the error code for check engine light. My light went on this afternoon - bike runs fine, but I'm concerned it won't for long...

Appeciate the help.

The MIL light flashes a certain amount of times, pauses, and then flashes the same number of times again, pauses and so on.

You need to count the number of flashes between the pauses and then look up what that many flashes means in the workshop manual.

The light comes on and stays on solid - It doesn't flash.
I ran out and bought the service manual, but if I understand the instructions correctly, The MIL won't flash the error code until I short the DLC using a "tool" (07PZ-Zy30100) which is essentially a plug with a jumper wire? Is this right?

I ran out and bought the service manual, but if I understand the instructions correctly, The MIL won't flash the error code until I short the DLC using a "tool" (07PZ-Zy30100) which is essentially a plug with a jumper wire? Is this right?

Without looking at the manual (im at work) if the fault is still present, you turn the ignition on, kickstand down, neutral, and it should flash the code. You should only need to install the short using the "tool" if the ecm has stored a fault that has since cleared. You do not really need the shorting tool, any wire will work.

Here is a video of how to read, reset, verify reset, codes on a VFR800. The general process is the same on the NT, but the specifics like plug locations and available codes are different. Hope this helps.

[video=youtube;MpHK7gMx2WY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpHK7gMx2WY[/video]

Thanks Dan. Interesting that the manual doesn't indicate anything about the kickstand process...

I've searched here and on google and can't find any information on the procedure for reading the error code for check engine light. My light went on this afternoon - bike runs fine, but I'm concerned it won't for long...

Appeciate the help.

Have you checked your battery condition? My Check Engine Light has been coming on occasionally, no other problem with the NT. Sometimes it says on after starting (rather than going off within about 3 seconds), sometimes it comes on during highway riding and stays on. Then it may stay off for a week or more.

I've done some checks on the battery. Even after reaching a "green" indicator on a battery tender, battery voltage (engine off) was below spec. Good voltage with engine on, so I think the charging system is OK. I suspect the battery is sulfated, which is creating problems with voltage levels, setting off the check engine light. I've ordered a new battery in hopes this will correct the problem.

My engine light came on, stayed on, went off, came back on, stayed on. All this was at about 10,000 miles, IIRC. When I checked the number of flashes, it was an indication of a low voltage reading at the Throttle Position Indicator. Then the bike started running really badly, missing and popping and wouldn't get over about 4300rpm. I happened to be in Denver and rode it to my dealer. Turned it off, went in and brought the service manager back out, turned it on, and the cotton-picking light was out.

But when they hooked it up to their computer, it told them that the fault had been there. They ended up replacing the regulator/rectifier (and maybe the TPI), and it never recurred.

Back
Top Bottom