Checking out my back yard

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
A friend of mine, Whit Brown, Told me about Centennial Cone Park which is in the foot hils west of Golden. So being that I had never been to this Centennial Cone Park, I went and checked it out today. Looks like some good hiking trails up there. Then I continued on county 60, Douglas Mtn Rd, Turned left and went up county 8, Robinson Hill Rd. Got a couple of pictures of a couple of real old buildings and their occupant/caretaker. Very interesting character named Tom. Don't remember the dogs name. The main house was built in 1863 and the older house/shed was built in the 1700s. After a short visit with Tom I took my pictures and headed up the hill. Made a right onto Smith Hill and back out to Golden Gate Canyon. Found myself going up to Rollinsville Pass. Along the way I also explored Mammoth Gulch road. Both trails were blocked with snow at about the 9800 ft level. Then back down Coal Creak Canyon and made a right at Twin Spruce Rd, which takes you over to Base Mountain Rd (A State Park Road) which now you need a State Parks Pass to pass through. Detoured to the top of Golden Gate Canyon, Ran down the canyon and then across town to home. Another Great Colorado day for exploring my back yard. Thanks, Whit for peaking my interest of Centennial Cone Park.

Attachments

Last edited:

kenstone

Nice
Why not post the pics rather than a list of links

;)

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Great pictures Chuck, You are braver, or more adventurous than I am chasing up those roads into the snow zone all alone!

Eldon

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Chuck, ol' Tom looks like he was worth the trip all by himself. The rest looks like pretty good gravy.

I'm a tad disappointed that a guy like you, who's famous for falling off mountains, let a little snow stop him. :)

bicyclist

I need to tow my CRF250L out and help you ride over some passes.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Great Pictures! Thanks for sharing. We are sure blessed with an incredibly beautiful country.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Where'dja go today, Chuck? Pretty ride -- and a bit of snow still hanging around.

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=2e5e4de64e56662c9

We took 67 from Sedalia to Deckers then took Dirt 211 Goose Creek road to Terryall Rd. 77 into Jefferson. Still construction on Terryall but there is 21 to 25 miles of brand new pavement from Just north of Terryall to Jefferson. Going to go back with the ST700 or the ST1300 and just ride the pavement. What a blast. Then we went up and over Guanella Pass and then worked our way back to home via secondary byway roads down Kerr's Gulch, Turkey Creek Canyon, Deer Creek Canyon and across town to home. 250 miles. Put close to 500 miles on the DR in two days. Need to rest the butt as that stock seat is a killer, even with the Walmart seat pad. Great ride great fun. Gotta go again next week.

Attachments

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I haven't ridden from 24 to Jefferson in several years. I've never done it on the NT. Thanks for reminding me of a great road. The back roads you were on after you got east of 285 are all pretty good, too. After we get moved, we'll have to hit those together.

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Wow. DR's day out. Great pix as usual. Vivid colors with some interesting field of depth!!

What were you using to shoot?
To answer your question, it is a cheap $100 Samsung ST66 point and shoot 16meg 5X F2.5 with a bunch of menus I have not taken the time to study.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Again, beautiful pictures. Must have been wicked cold up in the mountains since I saw no runoff from melting snow.We have more dirt roads than paved ones here in Maine. I may look for a 500cc off road capable bike and just take off with camping gear and a GPS. I will have to find a reliable cat sitter. I wish that "Misty" could get into motorcycling. I would modify a tank bag just for her.

Top Bottom