Circled The Okefenokee Swamp

Mattb

I took a day off yesterday to take care of some personal banking and insurance business and my wife and I decided to take a "short" morning ride.

5 hours and nearly 200 miles later we returned home after riding completely around the Okefenokee swamp in Southern Georgia.

Highlights:

Lovely 2 lane, shaded and winding roads west of Folkston, GA along the border of the swamp. Picturesque churches, rolling landscapes and an occasional white-tailed yearling provided early-morning entertainment - all in high definition!

Between US23 and Highway 84 is a beautiful stretch of road that penetrates Laura S. Walker state park. Absolutely beautiful and talk about twisties - wow! The scenery is so nice, however, the throttle tends to stay more closed than open.

Blackshear, GA, is a lovely city dotted with structures built with aesthetically interesting and impressive architecture.

Dozens of tiny towns with nothing more than a water tower bearing names I've never heard of. Manor, GA and Argyle, GA, for example.

Lowlights:

My wife forgot to bring her camera.

The apocalyptic damage from the swamp fires this Summer. Acrid smoke and even heavy smog along a 5 mile stretch of 23 south of Waycross.

Waycross, GA. What a frackin' dump.

The 28 mile stretch of straight-as-an-arrow asphalt between Homerville, GA and Fargo. BO-RING! Even at 80 MPH.

Would I do it again? Some sections, yes. Laura Walker will be a regular destination for us and we'll backtrack later this year to visit Stephen C. Foster state park on the West side of the swamp currently closed due to the fires.

Top Bottom