Civil War Tour

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I have been actively planning my long rides for the summer. The Great Lakes Loop is one I planned to do in late May, but the weather up nawth can still be dicey so I will shelve that ride 'til August. Instead, I am mapping out a tour of Civil War (or, as I prefer to call it, the War of Northern Aggression) battlefields. I am planning on leaving Missouri and heading South thru Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama. Then I will head north again to the Chattanooga area and proceed south thru Georgia and follow Sherman's March to the sea. Once again heading north thru the Carolinas, the Virginia's, Maryland and then on to Pennsylvania. I have about ten days set aside to do this ride. Does anyone have any recommendations or must see sites? I appreciate your input.

Mike

Mike, I live in Falls Church Virginia and have put together a "Roads to Antietam" one day ride that I take friends on. From the DC area, we head out I-270 to the Monocacy Visitors Center which happens to also be the site where Lee established his headquarters before splitting his forces and moving West. Its where Lee also wrote the "lost order" that fell into Union hands and gave McClelland insight into the disposition of Lee's forces. The ride goes over South Mountain at one of the gaps the Federals had to force to get to Antietam. Then I head down to Harpers Ferry which played a key role in the run-up to Antietam. Then on to Sharpsburg. The ride has some great scenery, nice back roads,and it really highlights the role geography played in the battle. The Antietam battlefield itself is well worth visiting since it is undeveloped, only lightly visited (unlike Gettysburg) and, again, you can really see the impact of the geography. I'd be happy to pm you further details if you are interested. Chris

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Well, around Atlanta, and south Tennessee, I'd do:

1. Andersonville South Georgia. The Civil War POW Camp that gained infamy for its brutal conditions and the National POW Memorial.
2. Kennesaw Mountain (Metro Atlanta Area)
3. The Southern Museum. (Metro Atlanta Area) Home of the locomotive "The General" from the Great Locomotive Chase.
4. Gone With The Wind Museum. (Metro Atlanta Area) Effectively Marget Mitchell's museum with other "stuff" mixed in...
5. Sherman's Point. (Metro Atlanta Area) No link for that one but I used to live near it. It is allegedly where the Yankee terrorist, and war criminal by modern or any ethical standards, General Sherman stood and watched Atlanta burn.
6. Stone Mountain(Metro Atlanta Area)
7. Chickamauga Battlefield (Near Chattanooga)
8. Shiloh Battlefield.

Number 1 is just plain depressing in some ways. You can feel the suffering that happened in that hellhole. But it has a excellent museum dedicated to all POWs that is worth the trip.
Numbers 2, 3, 4 and 5 are within a couple miles of each other. It is well worth seeing the locomotive "The General" as it is beautifully restored. This is a "Must" see...
Number 6 is on the east side of Atlanta. Seeing the relief carvings and the museum is a worth crossing Atlanta. And you want to see it before the damn Yankees screw it up with other memorials to be PC...:rolleyes1:
Number 7 is iffy, not bad but the other are better IMHO.
Number 8 has a great display of the Field Artillery in use during the The War of Northern Aggression.

Let me know when you're coming through and I'll try to meet you for 2,3,4 and 5....:smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Chris and Wayne, thanks for your input! I will definitely PM you when I get closer to the ride. Your local input is priceless.

Mike

Amen on the Yankee PC business :frown:

Bike
Silver NT700V
No tour focused on the Civil War would be complete without touring the battlefield at Vicksburg, MS. An added bonus is the park tour road very twisty and should be m/c friendly.

Bike
Bonneville T120
Don't forget the Battle of Salineville in Salineville, OH where Morgan's Raid ended.

On a serious note, let me know when you're doing the Great Lakes tour. Perhaps I could join you for a bit of the ride, at least for a day.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Mike, "Dicey" weather around the Great Lakes in May is actually pretty optimistic. You made a good choice to delay that trip till August.

I, too, am planning my rides for the season. I hope to begin by going to either FerrySTOC or to the NT gathering in Davis WV and then continuing south to the gulf coast. I want to visit a friend in northern AL and explore around the southern part of the Mississippi. I want to include at least some of the Natchez Trace. I have the time between (after) Mothers Day to May 21. You can bet I'll be paying attention to the comments on this thread for suggestions.

Maybe our paths will cross in May. And if you circum-ride the Great Lakes in August it would be hard for you to miss my house. Remember you are welcome.

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
No tour focused on the Civil War would be complete without touring the battlefield at Vicksburg, MS. An added bonus is the park tour road very twisty and should be m/c friendly.
Chuck, I did Vicksburg two years ago when I rode to Nawlin's and the Gulf. The park road was indeed twisty but I stopped about every hundred feet or so to read the plaques and gaze at the statues.

Mike

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Mike, "Dicey" weather around the Great Lakes in May is actually pretty optimistic. You made a good choice to delay that trip till August.

I, too, am planning my rides for the season. I hope to begin by going to either FerrySTOC or to the NT gathering in Davis WV and then continuing south to the gulf coast. I want to visit a friend in northern AL and explore around the southern part of the Mississippi. I want to include at least some of the Natchez Trace. I have the time between (after) Mothers Day to May 21. You can bet I'll be paying attention to the comments on this thread for suggestions.

Maybe our paths will cross in May. And if you circum-ride the Great Lakes in August it would be hard for you to miss my house. Remember you are welcome.
Maybe our paths will cross in May or August. I did the Natchez Trace Parkway two years ago when I came back from Nawlins. It is a great ride, but by all means allow a lot of time as there is plenty to stop and see along the way.

Mike

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
First land battle of the Civil War was fought at Phillipi WV and there is an awesome covered bridge to see there as well. Many a battle field in West Virginia.

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I departed on my tour on Wednesday 5/18 and find myself holed up in Chattanooga, TN. I was to head S thru GA today but the weather gods conspired against me. Excellent trip so far, 790 miles
Mike

Top Bottom