Clearwater Darlas -- Almost

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Even though it's not on any maintenance schedule, I try and change the fork oil about every two years. And while the forks are off the bike, give them a good flush and cleaning. The only way to do it properly is to completely diasassemble the forks but it's a lot of additional work so I only do that about every other time. :)
In olden days. there was a drain bolt and a fill cap. You could measure down to the fluid level with a home made dip stick. That went the way of the zerk fittings on the suspension. Made too much sense.
Who remembers the term "planned obsolecence"?
My YM1 Yamaha also had...wait for it.....adjustable foot pegs.....
Yamaha_YM1.jpg

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Since this topic is well hi-jacked I will “go with the flow”

The last motorcycle I changed the fork oil on was my 1982 CX500. When I drained the fork oil the smell was a horrible rancid stench. I later worked out that someone had previously used auto trans fluid in the forks which, when new, has a pleasant sweet smell.

For those who don’t know auto trans fluid is designed to have a pungent odour when it needs replacing and the CX definitely needed the fork oil changed going by the smell!

Seagrass

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
ATF was the Honda-recommended fork oil well into the 80s. It worked OK and was available in almost every country while the stuff bottled as fork oil was quite the opposite, as regards availability. I was never a fan of those 5mm or 6mm fork drain bolts. After a few years of neglect, the bottom of the slider is filled with grunge so removing those drain bolts often resulted in nothing coming out! :-(

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
After owning my NT for about two years I had it at the dealer to change the coolant and asked about changing the fork oil. They said due to the cost of having to remove the forks etc that they did not recommend changing the fork oil until the fork seals stated to leak and needed replacing. After nine years of everyday riding the seals finally started leaking. The fluid that leaked out of the seals did not smell and appeared to be fairly clear.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I ended up taking my bike to Wild West Motorsports and let their Honda guy install the lights and rebuild the forks. I also had them install a pair of LED headlights that I'd bought from Aerostitch last year. The lights were awesome. Until yesterday.

I was riding down to Brighton to meet Colorado Rod. I noticed when I started the bikes the Clearwaters didn't come on for 2-3 minutes. But they worked fine all the way to Brighton and back, about an 80 mile trip. This morning I was just fiddling around and started the bike and the Clearwaters didn't come on.

I've got an appointment week after next for Wild West to try again. But Horse is finally almost done for a while. Maybe. Possibly. I hope.

Finally Almost Done.jpg

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Warren - what leaks out of the top due to worn fork seals is usually fairly clean. In the bottom of the slider lives all the grunge! :-(

Phil - did you replace the standard headlight bulbs with LEDs?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Yes, I did. I bought them from Aerostitch well over a year ago and finally got them installed a few weeks ago. The rubber boot wouldn't fit on the low beam bulb, but since the old rubber beam was dusty, I don't think it was needed much for weather protection. The bottom boot fell out yesterday and I'm going to see if I can get it to stay on. The lights I bought aren't available at Aerostitch this year, but they seem to work well and, when the Clearwaters are working I put a whole bunch of photons down the road.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I took the bike into Wild West Harley/Honda today to have them fix the Clearwaters. It took an hour and (as it should have been) there was no charge. A solder joint was loose and making intermittent or no contact. When I started the bike to ride over to the shop this afternoon, wouldn't you know it? The Clearwaters came on. But then after about 20 seconds they went back out. Now they're working!!! The boot from the high beam location that fell out won't fit with the LEDs in place, but I finally found them in last year's Aerostitch catalog and they are waterproof, so I won't worry about that.

Top Bottom