Clicking and ticking

Bike
Red nt700 2011(deauville)
Hello. Some time ago, in the wrong place on the forum, I wrote about my problem with engine ticking and clicking in the RPM range between 2-3 rpm. I want to share my insights with you. After replacing the valve adjustment screws (the service stated that they were already worked out after 35,000 km), it turned out that the problem remained and it was not known what was going on. Then I picked up the motorcycle in October and drove about 2,000 km. In the spring of this year, someone told me to change the oil and the oil filter to a completely different one than it used to be in the engine. I have always used MOTUL 10w40 oil in my bikes, which is very popular and quite expensive. The choice was Valvoline 10w40 oil and a K&N filter. After pouring the right amount of Valvoline into the engine and driving a few kilometers, it stopped ticking and clicking :). I analyzed this situation and I think I came across a counterfeit oil, because as I wrote before, it is very popular and I think that someone makes fakes and sells it as the original. I have driven about 4,000 kilometers this season without ticking on Valvoline. I'm very happy. He will use it again in the years to come. I cordially greet you from Poland

Last edited:
Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Thanks for the info.
Kind of interesting, you never know. Do you still have any leftover Motul? If so it may be worth testing it to see for sure.

Arknt

OP
OP
lukaszmlynarczyk1
Bike
Motul has been disposed of and I do not intend to use it in the future because I am afraid that I will find a counterfeit again and lose my money. I'll be using Valvoline and a K&N oil filter.
The valve clearances are in their own specification. Earlier I thought that maybe the injectors were ticking just as rhythmically as the engine work, but in the end it was fixed immediately after changing the oil.

Luke

Bike
NT700va
Those of us who had Pacific Coast bikes found the Fram filters were not as good as Honda or Purolator ones. Most ended up using Rotela 10-30 oils which are low cost, Jaco approved. May try it. This is not meant to start another oil war - but then we haven't had one in awhile and may be past due

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The original poster's locale is in Poland so I have to wonder if they sell Shell Rotella there?

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The only Rotella I've ever seen was always 15w/40. It makes sense since it was formulated specifically for diesel engines. I've been using it since the early-2000s without any problems in my Honda motorcycles.

OP
OP
lukaszmlynarczyk1
Bike
yesterday I checked our online auctions but I did not find Shell Rotella anywhere. There are only Shell Helix and Advanced

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I think Rotella may be marketed under a different name in other countries. If memory serves, outside the US, Shell markets the oil as Rimula. Same stuff as Rotella IIRC.

Mike

Last edited:
Top Bottom