Code 1-3 help

Bike
2011 Black nt700va
Well, I thought I had been fighting a bad fuel situation for a couple of tanks now but things turned worse tonight on my way home from a short ride after work. I have been dealing with a hesitation issue at about 3500 rpms and cruise at 5000 rpms also would not want to start after sitting about 3 to 4 days without twisting the throttle and holding it open till it started (replaced CKP had code 1-9 last fall and ran great). This issue has been intermittent on and off for about 3-4 weeks. Tonight on the way home after about a 40 mile ride it started doing the hesitation thing again at upper rpm's also in in all lower rpms and at idle, it stopped running as I coasted into the driveway with the clutch pulled and MIL flashed code 1-3 fuel injector #2 issue. The manual say check connector do some testing of injector then replace if found bad. I've been trolling some of the older postings and no one has ever replaced an injector, Charlieb had a connector come loose and many sparkplug cap issues(mine is 2011 model). Has anyone one else had any issues or dealings with code 1-3 ? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance (still would like to make the Cashmere run and meet everyone)

Kevin

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Well, I thought I had been fighting a bad fuel situation for a couple of tanks now but things turned worse tonight on my way home from a short ride after work. I have been dealing with a hesitation issue at about 3500 rpms and cruise at 5000 rpms also would not want to start after sitting about 3 to 4 days without twisting the throttle and holding it open till it started (replaced CKP had code 1-9 last fall and ran great). This issue has been intermittent on and off for about 3-4 weeks. Tonight on the way home after about a 40 mile ride it started doing the hesitation thing again at upper rpm's also in in all lower rpms and at idle, it stopped running as I coasted into the driveway with the clutch pulled and MIL flashed code 1-3 fuel injector #2 issue. The manual say check connector do some testing of injector then replace if found bad. I've been trolling some of the older postings and no one has ever replaced an injector, Charlieb had a connector come loose and many sparkplug cap issues(mine is 2011 model). Has anyone one else had any issues or dealings with code 1-3 ? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance (still would like to make the Cashmere run and meet everyone)

Kevin
Just a wild shot based on experiences on the ST forum. Do you live where there are mice? Mice have been know to live under the air-box and feast on the # injector wires of the ST1300. If not that then you probably have a injector going bad/or bad connection.

OP
OP
Bike
2011 Black nt700va
Chuck, I really don't have a mouse issue around here as far as I am aware of. I will look into that when I take the air cleaner assembly off will let you know the outcome. I went on the Deauville UK site late last night and found no one has replaced an injector either(they must be bulletproof?). I will start teardown this weekend and hopefully find the issue without a lot of expense. If I do find a bad injector I guess I'm the first kid on the block that gets to replace one. Keep ya all posted.

Kevin

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Kevin,

No experience with a 13 fuel injector code. Agreed, the injectors seem bulletproof and wiring/connectors is most likely the problem.

Since this is your second/different ECM code, don't rule out your ECM. It's not the most likely problem, but keep it in mind. You can disconnect the battery, then disconnect the 2 plugs into the ECM. Inspect each plug for dirt & water etc, blow out with low pressure air, reconnect and hope for the best. This can be performed before pulling the gas tank to get to the fuel injectors....its easy.

Consider buying an injector to have ready to install if you are going to go thru the trouble of tearing into it this weekend. Found out the return policy of where you buy it, & don't open the package until you are sure the fault is the injector. If you find that the problem was a simple connector, return the injector.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yep, mine had a loose connection on the injector and it sounds like yours did. Intermittent for a little bit, then all out failure, then ok again, then surging, then more.

Dealer didn't believe me when I told them what it was doing. They took it out for a test run and found nothing wrong. I took it around the block and it happened again and that time they noticed it.

OP
OP
Bike
2011 Black nt700va
Thank you everyone for your input and wisdom(everybody here is great and very helpful). Dan, I will try your idea first and see what happens, and should I clear the code before? Bobagain, yes I have done work with the crank sensor replacement and that involved all plastic removal then removing the entire exhaust system to the heads and lifting the tank, so that is possible too. Charlie b, our problems sound very much alike and am probably leaning towards this being the case but am going to try Dan's idea to start and then dig further if needed. Thanks again everyone and I will let you know the solution soon.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
kevinb,

What dealership did you buy from? that bike should be under warranty!! within our area there are dealers , and then there are dealers! reguardless of which one I would strongly recommend you get into there and speak softly in their ear, that if you don't get some satisfaction that your voice will be heard loud and clear on a national forum and with many aquaintencs. If it were me I wouold be living at the dealership and bypassing service managers etc going right to the owner of the shopIf you bought from Taylor Honda in Woodburn I will be glad to attempt to intercede for you, The owner there and I go back over 50 years.

You have my number, Call me

Eldon

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
2011 Black nt700va
Thanks, Eldon. She's out of warranty. I bought the bike from Beaverton Honda. The dealer and I don't see eye to eye and the service writer and I don't get along at all. Every time I have had it to them for something I always find a new scratch or some piece of plastic broken, there's more but enough said. I will repair it myself and make sure it's done right. I have heard many good things about the dealer in Woodburn from friends, might buy my next one from them. Thanks again.

Kevin

Last edited:
Bike
Kevin, So sorry you went there, I wont even recommend them to a enemy, . Occassionly you can do pretty good on gear sales there, I do go there for GWTA meetings once a month, and of course the RCMC functions that start and sometimes finish there.. The other shop that I am aware of in greater Portland area is Hillsborro. I have not had a lot of dealings with them, but my son has a Quad that he bought from them and he has received good service on it.

If you would like the name and phone number of my Honda tech I will share it with you. He was a Taylor employee for ten years before leaving there for a State of Oregon job. He is working out of his garage on the side, and is about the only tech who worked onmy NT. currently at Taylors the shop forman, Dale is good, and the senior tech , Marty is very good There is some new blood in the shop and I can't say good nor bad for them. The parts guys erric on Honda/ Kaw items and jim on other accessories and gear are both very good, erric is probably the most knowledgable of all on Honda parts as he has been there going on 20 years.

john himself is a good wrench in his own right, he has been at it over 50 years, although like me he is getting a little more crippled up and stays away from actural wrenching on a daily basis. He has maybe 5 years worth of birthdays on me and we go back to 1960 when I first met him. He was a serious dirt rider , and street ride, and even today he is capable of putting younger men to shame with his abilities.

Eldon

OP
OP
Bike
2011 Black nt700va
Finally getting back to the forum on the code 1-3 issue. My weekend is Monday and Tuesday, so on Monday afternoon after the plastic comes off and the tank is raised I start the process of checking connectors and what do I find! The injector harness to the main wiring harness is ever so slightly unplugged just a incremental snap and I'm thinking can't be that easy or simple. So we check the injector plug for number 2 which you can get to without taking the air cleaner off, ohms are correct on injector also wiring plug to injector okay, reattach plug to injector. Figure I will try and start her because since this issue she will never start right up first crank after sitting for three days. Well to my surprise she fires right up on first crank and runs great. Cleared the MIL codes. So I figure proof is in the ride, out we go on a short jaunt I'm just waiting for her to start stumbling again and she runs flawlessly for 60 miles, rough road,highway, twisties and back home. So I believe the issue is solved. Thank you everyone for your input and help couldn't have done it without you.

Kevin

bicyclist

Good to hear and thanks for the feedback. It adds to the body of knowledge about the bike.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Excellent Kevin. Thanks for posting your results....surely someone will benefit from it in the future.

Hope you can ride to Cashmere meetup now. I may make it if the weather, pass conditions, and work schedule are agreeable.

Bike
Sounds good Kevin,

Are we on schedule for a Friday morning departure? A thought only I think there is a Sherries at Troutdale that might be a acceptable place to meet. anyway it used to be a sherrys, kind of inbetween Flying j and pilot / burns bros truck stopsNot my favorite eatery, but something easy to find!

What time do we meet?

Eldon

Top Bottom